How much would an Avro Lancaster weigh if it were built today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DaveN351

Recruit
Oct 15, 2018
Spalding, Lincolnshire, UK
Hi
I'm an archive volunteer at Metheringham Airfield Visitor Centre, home to 106 Sqn's Lancasters from November 1943 to 1946. In our archive we have all manner of Lancaster artefacts but the items that sparked this thread were the radio/navigation components. Most of them were modular but, by today's standards are huge and weigh many pounds each. And it prompts the speculation that today a lot of the functions could have been covered with components a fraction of the size. I'm tempted to think that the wireless operator and navigator could have done their jobs almost with a couple of smart phones and a laptop!
So I was wondering if anyone knows of any theoretical study of how much a Lancaster (or equivalent WWII aircraft) would weigh if today's technology and materials were used? Not a very intellectual topic, perhaps, just an interested "what if..."!

Do you mean a propeller-driven bomber with the same payload and range as a Lancaster?

Well....
  • The four Merlins would be replaced by two turboprops
  • There would no longer be a navigator or flight engineer; they're superfluous
  • Likely, there would be no gunners, either. There may be a weapon systems operator, who would manage the offensive and defensive systems (mostly ECM). Guns (and missiles) would be on the fighters.
  • The weapons would be either laser-guided bombs or stand-off missiles

If you want four Merlins (why? It's 2020. Turboprops or — more likely — turbofans are much better), between rationalization of the spec and modern construction materials and methods and modern electronics, probably 20% in equipped empty weight. A general aviation aircraft can, with about 50 lb of electronics have better navigation equipment than existed during WWII. Another couple of hundred would add a multi-purpose radar. A bit more for EW equipment. Of course, bring that equipment back to WWII and it would barely be recognized as electronics: where are the tubes?

Last edited:
Do you mean a propeller-driven bomber with the same payload and range as a Lancaster?

Well....
  • The four Merlins would be replaced by two turboprops
  • There would no longer be a navigator or flight engineer; they're superfluous
  • Likely, there would be no gunners, either. There may be a weapon systems operator, who would manage the offensive and defensive systems (mostly ECM). Guns (and missiles) would be on the fighters.
  • The weapons would be either laser-guided bombs or stand-off missiles

If you want four Merlins (why? It's 2020. Turboprops or — more likely — turbofans are much better), between rationalization of the spec and modern construction materials and methods and modern electronics, probably 20% in equipped empty weight. A general aviation aircraft can, with about 50 lb of electronics have better navigation equipment than existed during WWII. Another couple of hundred would add a multi-purpose radar. A bit more for EW equipment. Of course, bring that equipment mack to WWII and it would barely be recognized as electronics: where are the tubes?

Hi. Thanks for the response. No; I wasn't thinking of a modern Lancaster-equivalent. Just building a Lancaster as designed with, yes, Merlins and all the original crew. but with stuff like all the valve electronics replaced by modern kit; modern materials used in the airframe and just little things like clunky bakelite switches replaced with modern plastics. Tyres would probably be lighter - that sort of stuff.
Just musing, really. The weight-saving would then be available for additional bombs and/or fuel. One thing I've often wondered is why the RAF didn't experiment with doing away with the front turret. From what I can tell it was very rarely used and must have added a lot to the empty weight.

Last edited:
If it was made from Carbon Fibre composite rather than rivetted Aluminium alloy you could shave off a big chunk of weight. You could probably work out how much by comparing the airframe weight per passenger of a DC-3 with the latest plastic fantastic airliners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back