**** DONE: 1/48 Bf109G-6 "Yellow 17" - Night War of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Italeri (Reboxed Academy)
Model Type: Bf109G-6
Aftermarket addons: Eagle Cal Decals

Profile scanned from EagleCals Decal Cover Page
IMG_0001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With information copied from this site: Endeavors in Plastic: Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6 of Gerhard Stamp, III./JG 300 "Wilde Sau".

This model will depict the personal Bf109G-6 flown by Oblt. Gerhard Stamp as seen at Oldenburg in early September 1943 when he flew with 8/JG300.

JG 300 "Wilde Sau" was the brainchild of bomber pilot Major 'HaJo' Herrmann who had advocated for the use of single-engined aircraft as night fighters against RAF Bomber Command once the use of 'Window' had made German radar systems ineffective. Targets were to be identified by having the bombers silhouetted against the search lights and fires in and around a bombing target, thus not relying upon radar. Trials with a Versuchskommando Herrmann started at Deelen on June 26, 1943, and the first combat mission was flown on the night of July 3/4 against a force of some 653 RAF aircraft attacking Cologne. JG 300 was formally established on August 30, 1943, and the sister units JG 301 and JG 302 were combined with JG 300 to form the 30. Jagd-Division, albeit with a limited compliment of aircraft. The units had a good amount of success during 1943, although there were many accidents, especially during nighttime landings. The Wilde Sau units were increasingly committed to daytime operations during 1944, and they were duly worn down by the Allied onslaught.

Since night flying with single-engine aircraft required considerable skill and instrument flying experience, many JG 300 pilots, like Gerhard Stamp, were former bomber pilots. Stamp was born on June 3, 1920, and even before joining JG 300, he was credited with sinking 35,000 gross register tons (GRT) of Allied merchant shipping as well as the Royal Navy destroyer HMS Defender on July 11, 1941 and various aircraft and vehicles on the ground while flying a Junkers Ju 88 in Lehrgeschwader 1 over the Mediterranean. Another 45,000 GRT of shipping was claimed as damaged. He joined the fore-runner of JG/300 "JG Hermann" from early on. After flying with III/JG300, he took command of I/JG300 on 9 November, 1943 at the age of 23. In November 1944, he led a unit known as "Kommando Stamp", an experimental night fighting unit equipped with Messerschmitt Me 262 jet fighters and tasked with bombing enemy bombers with 250- and 500 kg bombs. Kommando Stamp did claim some successes using this tactic, although these successes seem to be unconfirmed. The unit became "Kommando Welter" and eventually 10/NJG 11 on January 28, 1945. Stamp flew 300 bomber missions and 100 fighter missions, and he claimed five enemy aircraft, although only four seem to have been confirmed:

- August 23, 1943: unidentified four-engine aircraft claimed at 01.30 over Berlin (3./JG 300)
- September 23, 1943: Lancaster claimed at 23.15 10 km west of Mannheim (8./JG 300)
- February 3, 1944: B-17 (Stab I./JG 300)
- March 22, 1944: Lancaster (8./JG 300
- October 7, 1944: P-51 claimed at 11.55 around Querfurt and Naumburg (Stab I./JG 300)

Stamp was also shot down once, on June 29, 1944, while flying a Bf 109 G-6/U-2 near Lodersleben.

Major Gerhard Stamp was decorated with the Ritterkreuz, and he joined the Bundeswehr in 1956 for a second military career. He retired in 1978 as Oberst i. G. and he passed away in 1998.

This aircraft is uniquely decorated. The crosses have all been blacked out and the upper surfaces painted over in a very dark grey. The rudder has representations of the three largest ships that Stamp sunk in his days flying the Ju88 with LG I in the Mediterranean. The ships are framed by the ribbon and cross of the Knights Cross medal. The nose carries a depiction of the "Bomber's Clasp", a medal worn on the tunic of Luftwaffe bomber pilots. In an interview for the excellent book, "Jagdgeschwader 300 Wilde Sau" by Lorant and Goyat, Stamp said "I had this insignia painted to show my displeasure at having been posted to a single-engine night fighter Gruppe. I considered that the Bf109 was ill-suited to the role of night fighter, especially during the winter of 1943-44, since it lacked stability in turbulence and was dangerous in icing conditions. It did have one advantage in that it was fast and climbed well. All the same I would have preferred to pilot a Ju88...."

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Intend to make this a quick one with the canopy closed but obligatory flaps and slats extended. The pit's been painted and wings assembled but no pics yet.

Time I posted some pics. As I said, the canopy will be closed so I'm just adding the minimum detail to the pit. Port side remains sparse as supplied with the kit. the starboard side got a fuel line made of solder and will get seat belts made of masking tape.

15111001.jpg
15111002.jpg
15111003.jpg

I just can't leave a 109's wings alone and need to cut the flaps out and droop them. The work so far:

15111004.jpg

Short and sweet. You're up to date now!

Great work Andy! I must try and do some control surface mods in the future. It looks like a really good way to add some dynamics to a stationary subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back