**** DONE: 1/48 SPITFIRE MK.Vb - Night War of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
User Name: fubar57
Name: George
Category: Advanced
Kit: Tamiya
Accessories: Wire, plastic, decals spinner and propeller

My subject is Spitfire Mk.Vb JU•H(possibly s/n W3848) from 111sqn and flown by Sgt Peter Durnford at Debden, December, 1941.

ju h W3848.JPG

Geo

Last edited by a moderator:
These black Spitfires weren't in service very long, a few months and there were no night actions with the enemy. Durnfords sole encounter while flying a black Spitfire occurred on February 12, 1942 during the "Channel Dash" where he scored a probable.

ju h1.JPG

Untitled.jpg

Some of the abbreviations...

EA - the aircraft was built at the Supermarine factory but finished at Eastleigh
FAAC - repair is beyond unit capacity but can be repaired on site by another unit or contractor
HAL - Heston Aircraft Ltd
CU - conversion unit

023.JPG
022.JPG

The Tamiya spinner and prop are the wrong type for this aircraft, it needs the de Havilland ones. I found this in the spares box and Karl(Rochie) is kind enough to go through his spares and locate the appropriate prop.

027.JPG

Right off the start, I believe I have to modify the undercarriage selector as Tamiya has it molded in the gear up position. Pics in a while....

Geo

Last edited:
Thanks gents. New to me as well Wayne. As always, I'm on the lookout for oddball schemes and just stumbled onto this. A great photo Wojtek, it looks more weathered than mine and it answers and brings up a few questions. I can make out the IFF antenna but can't make out one between the mast and the tail. The struts and gear covers look black to me. Would the wheel wells be black also? These aircraft were ordered to be repainted so the question is...over what? The camo color change over from green/brown to green/grey came in Aug.21 '41 I believe so I'm thinking this may have been in the original camo. As always, every thought is welcome and thanks in advance.

Geo

I wouldn't bother about the camo base because the black coat covers colours nicely rather. Anyway I think the origin camo was of the DG/OG/MSG. There can be noticed quite light camo spots on the fuselage and the demarcation line for undersides at the leading edge of the wing. However the differences in black tinge could be caused by the different matt degree of the Dark Green and the Ocean Grey paints.

A profile of her found via the net.

spit5 ju-h_a.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the profile my friend. I'm just going to dry brush the light weathering in camo colors instead of the usual metal. Notice on the photo you posted that the wear is quite evident behind the cockpit, wing root and lower engine panel. Anyhoo.....on to the innnards. Added some piping to the cylinders behind the seat.

006.JPG

Tamiya neglects to include the cylinder behind the seat on the right so I cut and filed some sprue, added some "L" shaped plastic strip, a bit of Tamiya tape for the holder and glued her in.

007.JPG
008.JPG
010.JPG

It's a bit over-sized, but you will hardly see it once the fuselage is closed up. If one does get that close and mentions it, they will get the business end of a hockey stick to the back of the head.

Geo

I won't go any further until I make sure I get this right. The first photo is how Tamiya wants the undercarriage selector mounted and the other is how I believe it goes based on the photo below.

011.JPG
012.JPG

04n_15_023-640x480.jpg

PHOTO FROM spitfiresite.com

Getting the rest of the innards in shape...

Geo

Good one Geo. I was not aware of that scheme. To catch up on your questions, I would expect to see an antenna wire from post to fin on this aircraft. These things are so thin, they are rarely visible on photos. Gear legs and hubs don't look black to me. Agree with Wojtek on the use of the later scheme as base camo, though I'm not sure I would bother with painting it. My only hesitation would be in the wing root area where one of the above pics does show wear. If these aircraft were only in service for a few months, it begs the question whether the black was a washable finish and easily worn down. If that's the case, you might see the factory camo at the wing roots and some hint of the pattern underneath in other areas.

I agree with your assessment of the gear selector, though if you do invert it, the handle will need to be cut off and moved tot he down position identified in your cockpit reference. Incidentally, I have found that selection of cockpit photos at the Spitfire Site to be an excellent reference source.

The photo Wojtek posted is the one I referred to earlier, and seems to possibly show the demarcation of the original camouflage colours showing through the black paint, only just visible on the first photo too.
The gear legs, inside of the gear doors and the wheel hubs look to be the original colour, which was probably MSG, but could be 'Aluminium'. It's likely the wheel wells remained in the original colours, with the 'walls' in the MSG, and the roof either MSG or Cockpit Grey Green.
The gear selector needs to be swung round a bit more to the left, so that the rectangular piece at the bottom is angled forward - this is where the 'plumbing' attaches. The selector lever then needs to be removed and re-fixed in the 'Down' position.
I can't see any 'tab' on the rear of the radio mast in the photos, which means that there is no wire, which would be correct for the period, when VHF radio would have been fitted by then.
Although the IFF attachment terminal is visible in the roundel, I can't see a wire, although it might be there, but it's just about possible that MkIII IFF was fitted by this period, with a rod antenna beneath the starboard wing, rather than wires from fuselage to tail plane. This would also be in-line with the later voltage regulator (the 'two cans of beans' type) which appears to be fitted in the first photo. (profile shows early type).
Note the slightly unusual canopy arrangement, with the earlier, 'flat sided' hood with knock- out panel, but the later, internal armoured windscreen.

Thanks guys. I'll go along with the antenna but I'm not sure about the colors. As the aircraft(assuming it is s/nW3848) came off the production line Aug 11th, '41 and according to "Camouflage Markings - Spitfire - RAF Northern Europe - 1936-1945", "Both Ocean Grey and the mixed grey came into use on production Spitfires on 16th August, 1941...." Not sure how valid this book is though. I could also take the easy route and say they put on the black paint the night before. Can't find anything about the black paint other than the aircraft were painted all over black.

Geo

Was this install in the Vb, #60? It's from a Vc drawing and it's a T.R. 1196 or 1304 transmitter/receiver controller. (I blame you guys for forcing me to add details, damn peer pressure)

Untitled.jpg

It's on the Spitfire Mk.Vb in the spitfire.com site but I can't see it in any period photos that I've found.

Geo

Selector modified and mounted. I placed it in a baggie to insure it didn't ping into oblivion when I cut it. Try and guess how long it took to find it. It has since been tweeked counter-clock wise a little to match the real one. I added whatever the lever is pointing to in the 4 o'clock position only because I saw it in a photo. The base is interior color and the knob is brass.(arrow is pointing to my first knob that I lost about an hour before. I only noticed it in the photo) Offending hair has been removed. I've got some wiring to add and then I'll start to paint the innards.

001.JPG

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back