RAF Markings and Camouflage (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Now I'm with Antoni.And I agree that on RAF fighter planes such markings were actually very rare.As memory serves RAF pilots used small white swastics for the kind of markings and even these were also quite uncommon.

Antoni,
Thanks for the additional information, I suspected as much re the colour of the crowbar, and took the red from a colour image of a warbird that I had on file, the same with the stenciling inside the door. I will make the changes to the profile when I get back to it, as I have put it aside and started another type.

I am still looking for any information re stenciling, or is it that wartime stencils like kill marking were relatively uncommon on RAF types?

For those that may be interested, this is about as far as I got before putting it aside, and for those not interested. :arrow:

Thanks again guys.

Attachments

• wip5.jpg
    wip5.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,413
RAF National markings used on Spitfires.
Source SAM publications Modellers Datafile no.3

Attachments

• Spitfire_markings.jpg
    Spitfire_markings.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,541
  • Spitfire_markings1.jpg
    Spitfire_markings1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,518
hi everyone

i wonder if anyone has the marking or code for RAF Singapore ??

Hudson , Tiger Moth , Swordfish ??

Thanks

Here you are two examples of RAF Buffalos in Singapure.

Source unknown.

Attachments

• B Buffalo.jpg
    B Buffalo.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,231
Hey guys, this question isn't so much about markings as it is about logos. I've been trying to find a logo for Supermarine, does anyone know what it looks like and where I might find an image of it? I know it gets tricky cause of all the mergers that took place but if anyone has an image I'd be very greatful.
Thanks.

Thanks A4K, hopefully you have better luck than I did.

Micdrow or Wurger,
Is there a RAF/Air Ministry manual or directive similar to the one Micdrow put on the board for the Luftwaffe. I get the feeling that the RAF simply moved the markings around untill they looked good and then measured each aircraft. Is this correct, or, were the Germans simply more organised.
For example how would you ascertain the position of the markings on the aircraft pictured below.
Before anyone asks I THINK it's called "The First Of The Few", no idea who painted it but if memory serves it is the prototype, no guns and a hand carved two blade prop.
I actually want the markings for the DH108 but that's outside the scope of this forum.
Regards
Dragonsinger

Attachments

• First of the Few.bmp
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,241
Hi mate,

I don't know if there is a similar manual available somewhere in the Net but The RAF painting rules were much more rigorous than LW were.All parts of camo patterns were strictly defined by proper instructions.There were six basic camo patterns for RAF aircraft that the Ministry of Aircraft Production provided.These rules were obliged from 12.10.1937.

1. for single-engine fighter monoplanes,
2. for two-engine bomber monoplanes with the wingspan to 21,3m (70 feet)
3. for two-engine bomber monoplanes with the wingspan over 21,3m (70 feet)
4. for four-engine aircraft
5. for single-engine biplanes
6. for two-engine biplanes

These variants of paintings were divided into some more kinds.

a) continental one
b) naval one
c) desert (Middle-Easterly) one
d) commanding ones
e) reconnaissance (P.R.U) one

What is more the standard camo patterns for fighters had two kinds.

- Pattern A
- Pattern B

The "B" pattern was a mirror of "A" one.During a factory assembling process the camo patterns were given to aircraft of the uneven serial numbers ( pattern A) and to these of the even numbers ( pattern B).

Colours for these camo patterns
For upper surfaces:
- Dark Earth
- Dark Green

The undersides were painted with some different schemes ( Night and White, Night-White and Aluminium, Sky type S and shortly Night-Sky type S.

The rules were affirmed by the Air Ministry with the order no. A.154/39 with a correction no.A.298/39 on April 27th 1939.
On August 15th 1941 these rules were standardized and the new colour set was introduced.

For upper surfaces
- Dark Green
- Ocean Grey

for undersides
- Mediun Sea Grey.

You are correct,the Spitfire in your shot is the fighter prototype no. K5054.
The prototype wasn't painted initially.There were roundels and serial numbers painted only firstly.The difference is that your pic shows the later aircraft painted with blue-grey gloss colour.I've uploaded some pics of the prototype.In the first one you can see the aircraft shortly before its first flight on March 5th 1936.The two next show the machine with some modifications introduced to the plane ( notice the way of tail section partitioning into the fin and the rudder).

As far as the painting of aircraft is concerned.The best way of it is to find pictures of the plane you are particularly interested in.Looking at them you can find out how the plane was painted, especially that the colours are well-known mostly.

Concerning your DH108,do you have any problems with this? If yes, let me know I can try to find something for you about the plane.

Attachments

• spit prototype_1.jpg
    spit prototype_1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 971
  • spit prototype_.jpg
    spit prototype_.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 983
  • spit prototype.jpg
    spit prototype.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 984
A great supplement to my post Paul.THX for your support.:D :D :D

A American aircraft in British Markings.

Attachments

• p-39.jpg
    p-39.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 1,247

Users who are viewing this thread

Back