P-61 Black Widow Pictures (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I swear I've seen Wabash Cannonball as the artwork on a B-17

I wonder if it was the same pilot who transferred to P-61s?

I have never seem any of those before. Thanks for posting Beau. One thing I noticed was how the black paint seemed to weather really badly and just peel off. ( note pics #9 and #11 from the top)

Love the pic of the P-61's on the flight line with the B-29 in the background.

gents the black paint was crap it did not take much to pull the stuff off. many of the 9th AF Widows look like hell as there were very few spare parts, nothing came in new and they flew the crates till they fell apart. I knew the chap flying Wabash cannonball 3 and 4. he was the CO of the 425th nfs. Interviewed quite at length when he took me to his home , met his charming wife and sat over a good cup of coffee.........may stories to tell

Very cools. Don't see a lot of interest in the P-61.
I remember back in the mid 70's when the Confederate Aif Force (I still can't bring myself to call them by that other name) used to have some pretty nice airshows up here in Minneapolis. Thier big phrase was that they had one of every Major WWII Aircraft in flying condition. I asked one of the Colonels (I was about 12 or 13 at the time) if they had a p-61, he was stumped and suprised I even knew what it was. Said no.

Several years later I was in Reading, Pa. for the company I worked for. Spent a week there doing some training. Upon arriving back I learned that there is a P-61 being refurbished back to flying condition at the Mid-Atantic Air Museum in Reading. This was within a week of actually being there and not knowing about it. Could have seen it first person. Now I just am waiting for it to be flyable and hopefully make the journey to Oshkosh. Sounds as if that's several years in the future yet, but it will be an impressive bird to see in the air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back