Aircraft Mock-Ups (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Capt. Vick

Staff
Mod
Jul 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
Here is a thread I've been meaning to start for some time. Aircraft Mock-Ups. We have all seen them, the hopes and dreams of aeronautical engineers and aviation companies brought to life in wood, metal, plastic and fiberglass, but sadly ending just short of a production contract. What a museum they could fill. Testament to the era before CAD...so lets get some pictures up gents! (With info if you have it!)

I have always thought this one was interesting, but seriously...what was Grumman thinking?

Grumman XTB2F

Grumman_XTB2F.jpg

enigm_28.jpg

From WIKI

The Grumman TB2F was a cancelled twin-engined torpedo bomber project, intended as Grumman's successor to the successful TBF Avenger. However, only a mockup was ever constructed.

In 1944, during World War II, the Midway class aircraft carriers were being built, and Grumman attempted to design a new torpedo bomber to accompany those carriers. However, it was soon decided that, among other difficulties, it would be impracticable to efficiently deploy twin-engined aircraft of this size from an aircraft carrier, and the plans were scrapped.

Specifications[edit source | edit]Data from A Tracker Before Its Time?[1]

General characteristics

Crew: 3
Length: 52 ft 0 in (15.85 m)
Wingspan: 74 ft 0 in (22.56 m) (Folded span: 36 ft 0 in (10.97 m))
Height: 17 ft 0 in (5.18 m)
Max takeoff weight: 43,937 lb (19,929 kg)
Fuel capacity: 1,960 US Gallon internal fuel
Powerplant: 2 × Pratt Whitney R-2800-22 Double Wasp radial engine, 2,100 hp (1,600 kW) each
Performance

Maximum speed: 271 kn; 502 km/h (312 mph)
Stall speed: 62 kn; 114 km/h (71.1 mph)
Service ceiling: 31,600 ft (9,600 m)
Armament

Guns:

1× 75 mm cannon and 6× .50 in (12.7 mm) machine guns forward firing
2× .50 in machine guns each in dorsal and ball turrets
Bombs: 1× Mark 13 torpedo or 3,500 lb (1,600 kg) bombs or mines in bomb bay

With a full on retractable belly turret, top turret AND 75 mm cannon? Don't get me wrong, I would buy the Hasegawa kit in a minute if it was made, but did they really think they could make it a viable combat aircraft with those two puny engines? Just saying...

A new possibility, not seen. I can envisage Grumman being a bit peeved loosing this, and keeping the idea until the Tracker did make it. Notice the port wind mounted AS radar - in away this is the abortive Granddad of the Trackers

I'm afraid the pics you posted FBJ aren't showing up for me - what image host might they be from? Don't worry, they've shown up, must have been a slow browser/connection here in B'ham.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back