CAPTURED AIRCRAFT - ODD PHOTOS (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Interesting to see those North American trainers above in German custody.

I use to laugh when I saw the Texans in "Where Eagles Dare".

NAA57's and NAA64 were built under license and operated by the French. After defeat, many went to the Fliegerschule (and some went to the French again after German defeat.)

Name: ea909b81b4225bf1fa9b12deaa17ceb9.jpg Views: 41 Size: 48.4 KB

The Fw 190 MP499 in Chris' post #810 was Arnim Faber's aircraft, the first flying Fw 190 the british got hold of. Its instrument panel and windscreen survive today in the Shoreham aviation museum.

Hi,
after some time i am back to show you some more captured planes. Last we hand german planes in british hands. Now we will see this theme from the other side.
Lets start with a german Gladiator. Ifaik this plane was captured in the east and used for glider throwing, used by Ergänzungsgruppe (S)1 in Langendiebach, near Hanau.
Hope you like it:

Attachments

• DSC02649.jpg
    DSC02649.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Good stuff Chris.
Regarding the captured Bf110, I read an account (can't remember where) from a captured Luftwaffe airman who saw the captured '110 on an airfield he was taken to, and burst out laughing, having immediately spotted some anomalies. Apparently, it had been 'cobbled together' with the fuselage and one wing from one aircraft, a wing from a second aircraft, and I think part of the tail from a third aircraft.
The above details may not be totally accurate, but it was certainly a hybrid !

In Chris' post 846, the fourth picture down is the Enemy Aircraft Exhibition at Farnborough in October/November 1945. Interesting mix of British modern aircraft there, too, including a Spiteful, the Martin Baker MB.5, a Bristol Brigand, Blackburn Firebrand and Fairey Spearfish. The two seat Do 335 at centre sadly crashed and claimed the life of test pilot Grp Capt Hards. Note also that the Ju 352's Trappoclappe is open and also the piloted Fi 103 Reichenburg.

The Fw 190A is also MP499 as mentioned above, and the last pic of a Zero in surrender markings, that aircraft survives at the Auckland Museum, New Zealand.

Good stuff Chris.
Regarding the captured Bf110, I read an account (can't remember where) from a captured Luftwaffe airman who saw the captured '110 on an airfield he was taken to, and burst out laughing, having immediately spotted some anomalies. Apparently, it had been 'cobbled together' with the fuselage and one wing from one aircraft, a wing from a second aircraft, and I think part of the tail from a third aircraft.
The above details may not be totally accurate, but it was certainly a hybrid !

Are the 3 photos of the 110 the same aircraft, I can't quite make out the s/n. Thanks for the heads up on the aircraft Terry. I was thinking of driving Wojtek insane trying to figure out the colors as I'm doing with my 109 in the What's on the Workbench build.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back