Curtiss C-46 Commando

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01

Honourably banned
Mar 26, 2007
C-46A-40-CU 42-107351

(MSN 27038/CU678) to RFC Sep 28, 1945. WFU and storedSep 1945. Bought by Nationwide Air Transport (Resort Airlines) Mar 10, 1948 and registered as N79096. Leased
by Airlines Express Agency Jun 16, 1948 as AN-FAX. Bought by A. Somoza Mar 9, 1949. Reposessed by Nationwide Air Transport Jun 1951. Bought by Ben Terry Jun 28, 1951 and
registered as N79096. transferred to Claire Adele Terry Jan 1952. Rebought by Nationwide Air Transport Mar 19, 1952. Bought by R. Paul Wesner May 27, 1952. Bought by F. A.
Conner Aug 9, 1952 and reregistered Jul 17, 1953 as N3967C. Bought by A. G. Thompson Jr Jan 9, 1954, by L. B. Smith Aircraft Corp Sep 21, 1959, Continental and Southern
Airways leased it and returned it Nov 1959. Bought by Aerolineas Carreras Jan 15, 1960 registered as LV-JMC. WFU and stored 1970.

Curtiss C-46 Commando_01.JPG

Last edited:
It was. It carried more weight, faster and farther than the C-47. It was originally designed to be a pressurized airliner and the original design had the structure smooth over the figure 8 fuselage used for pressurization, but it was found that fairing over the junction added weight and didn;t really change the aerodynamics. The army never flew them pressurized.
Back when China Doll was flying
DSC_7985.jpg

Great stuff. Viewed purely from the paratrooping perspective, the Commando would be superior to the 'Dak'/C-47 in this role, especially with a door on each side allowing simultaneous 'sticks', being capable of carrying, and dropping, a larger number of troops. And, of course, with a larger capacity and larger freight door(s), supply drops would be more effective.
Most accounts of the C-46 in WW2 state that they were not used in the para/supply drop role in the ETO, with US 9th AF and RAF C-47's being employed for this, but there is cine film evidence of one, at least, over a DZ which looks like Arnhem, trailing smoke as it departs.
Certainly a somewhat 'unsung hero', overshadowed by the 'Dak'.

Yes, I'd thought the film clip mentioned could possibly have been the Rhine crossing. But, it has been included in more than one documentary on 'Market Garden' (not that this is solid proof it was filmed there, of course), and the DZ looks more like Ginkel Heath at Arnhem, than the DZ over the Rhine.

It could be correct. I don't recall hearing they were used in Market Garden, but that doesn't mean they weren't. My sources aren't always perfect, and my memory certainly isn't. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back