Can You help ID this plane and crew? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jskovseth

Recruit
Feb 9, 2008
I found this in my brothers garage while cleaning it out. I'm not sure if this is family or not, no one can seem to place the photo. Can anyone ID the plane and/or the crew? Thanks! Jon

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 303
Army Air Corps maintenance ground crew in front of an AT6 Texan.

perhaps maintenance school?

The aircraft is an AT-6, yes... but I think these fellas are more likely to be flying cadets than ground crew,
as they're wearing flying overalls. (possibly A-4 type)

The code on the fuselage indicates that this could be Bainbridge Field in Georgia. As far as I know there is
no master list for Flying Training Command/Training Command and stateside airfield codes, but Bainbridge
is the only field I've come across which seems to fit the code of 'BB'.

I think BB is "Beale bandit" the modern tailcode for Beale AFB.

I have been looking for a period, where USAF/USAAF flew without national markers on the fuselage. I have not been able to find any.

Maybe the picture is from somewhere else?

We are most likely looking at this aircraft:

41-33497 (c/n 88-10619) to RAF as Harvard IIA EX524. No record of receipt

Notice how the 106 fit the BB 106 and 19 fit whats visable on the tail.

I did not see the roundel on the left wing. Seemed like another AC to me.

The tail looks a little small for a P-47 to me. But it does offer another clue. The tail of the background plane has the dark color with a striped rudder, which is consistent with the training command markings of the time. Here is a PT-17 and a PT-22 with the same tail color scheme.

The tail makes me think of a BT-13, bit could be something else.

Attachments

• DSC_3102.jpg
    DSC_3102.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 222
The background aircraft could be a Curtiss P-36 Hawk.

The BT-13 tail looks about right, but the cockpit (on the actual pic) don't look like a two seater.

Maybe we should stick to finding the AT-6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back