b-17

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There were some variants of the Lancaster which were fitted with a ball turret ala B17 , but they were removed .

Andrew
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the privateer (not sure on the numerical designation) looked ok what with the navy paint and single tail and in WWII there used to be a bomber crew joke that said the B-24s are the boxes which the B-17s came in

Is this convo still going? Seems a bit silly ..but anyway..the LANC was the best bomber of the war..lets see..a bombers main job is too carry bombs ..lots of 'em...the B17 carried a pitiful amount of bombs compared to the Lanc..it took 3 B17s to do the job of one Lanc .
In daytime ops before long range fighters the 17s got the shit shot out of them. The Brits had realised long before the Yanks came to the party that daylight bombing was going to be a murderous affair no matter how many damn guns you put on the plane ..which the yanks found out when the first couple of raids were savaged.

The B17 was/is a beautiful aircraft..but the Lanc and B17 complemented each other and both were in their own way war winning planes..the B24 is always the forgotten bomber and i think it too carried more than the always talked about B17.

The Lanc will always hold the role of the best bomber of WW2 no matter what is discussed here ..as for creature comforts..come on ..there was a war on and England was the front line..who cares if the Lanc didnt have a Bidet ;) ..the Lanc chaps went on about the creature comforts of the 17 but they would not have swopped her for one..thats for sure.But im sure the Yanks wished they could have carried even half as much as the mighty Lanc ..maybe the B17 was meant to be a fighter bomber :twisted:

cheers

Privateers as cool. PV-1 (or -2). It's a nice medium bombers for the anti-shipping role.

Well, welcome, even if you ARE another of those lanc folk

:lol: Thanks Crazy..im not a Lanc or B17 folk ;) ...i just see it a bit pointless trying to find out which was really the best as they are set up for different roles (night time- daytime) ..they were both a superb plane in their time and we should enjoy them both on their merits..not nitpick their weaknessess. (is that a word? :rolleyes: )

cheers

Alway's the Avro Antelope for me...... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

antelope-4.jpg

Hot Space

b-17 hmmm nice i like them but i still like little junkers better any plane with a name junkers must be some what cool

I think the b-24 is one of the ugliest bombers around,yes it looks like a box and the wheeles look a little odd

Damn...i quite like the Junkers aircraft too :lol: ..except if i was on the ground-an 87 would have been the last thing i would have wanted to see ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back