B-26 "The Milk Run Special" (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

twoeagles

Senior Airman
Oct 18, 2006
Chambersburg
Looking for any info and especially good photo of a B-26 with nose art "The Milk Run Special".
I have one very small grainy image, trying to help a young lady learn more about her grand daddy who was a crew member.
(Trying to get dates, theater, unit etc...)

Attachments

• Milk Run.jpg
    Milk Run.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
Two Eagles, just found this in B-26 Marauder In Action No. 210. Page 30.
"The B-26B-55-MA (42-96191) went overseas with the 597th Bomb Group. "The Milk Run Special" flew as 9F-N. After the war, she was allocated to the 559th Bomb Squadron,387th Bomb Group, as TQ-M, but the diagonal yellow stripe of the 397th BG remained on the tail fin." This is all I can find at the moment. Hope it helps and good luck with your search.

Two Eagles, just found this in B-26 Marauder In Action No. 210. Page 30.
"The B-26B-55-MA (42-96191) went overseas with the 597th Bomb Group. "The Milk Run Special" flew as 9F-N. After the war, she was allocated to the 559th Bomb Squadron,387th Bomb Group, as TQ-M, but the diagonal yellow stripe of the 397th BG remained on the tail fin." This is all I can find at the moment. Hope it helps and good luck with your search.

Thanks, Aaron - some good info and interesting to see she survived the war.

i have Martin B-26B-55-MA Marauder (s/n 42-96191) named "Milk Run Special" and coded 9F-N, from the 597th BS, 397th BG, 9th AF. Shot down on June 24,1944.

My grandpa George Overbey was the Milk Run Special's pilot in WWII. Shoot me an email via PM here if you want further details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Milk run 2.jpg
Milk run.jpg
Found these two images in B-26 Maurader Units of the Eight and Ninth Airforce by Jerry Scotts on the Osprey series.

Last edited:
My uncle, Donald Sharpe, was a B26 flight engineer in the 597th Squadron/397th Bomb Group. I have a wonderful 8"x10" photo of the Milk Run Special as it is in flight beside his plane. The plane fills the entire photo. Bernard Bland was an armorer on The Milk Run Special and wanted a copy of this photo. I sent him one with the following stipulation....will send you two photos. One for you and one to autograph and return to me. LOL! Was a great deal for both of us.

Would love to see a copy of that photo. My grandpa passed away 20 years ago, but we love to see as many things related to his plane as we can.

OK, I'll see what I can do. Give me a few days. I don't have a scanner but will see what can be done. Watch this post for further info.

My father was a Co Pilot on the Milk Run Special. He passed away many years ago, but I have several pictures of him in his flight gear and would love to have a picture of the plane - if you still have it.

My uncle, Donald Sharpe, was a B26 flight engineer in the 597th Squadron/397th Bomb Group. I have a wonderful 8"x10" photo of the Milk Run Special as it is in flight beside his plane. The plane fills the entire photo. Bernard Bland was an armorer on The Milk Run Special and wanted a copy of this photo. I sent him one with the following stipulation....will send you two photos. One for you and one to autograph and return to me. LOL! Was a great deal for both of us.

I would really love to see a copy of that photo. My Grandfather, Ed Lesnick, was a co-pilot on the Milk Run Special. I'm not sure, but I think that may be him just to the right of center in that group photo above. He passed away many years ago and we love learning more about him. Feel free to email me!

Found these recently. 42-96191 (9F-N) "Milk Run Special: of 597th BS, 397th BG, 9th AF. It was shot down on 24th Jun 1944. Photo taken before D-Day (no stripes).

Attachments

• 397th_Bombardment_Group_-_B-26_Marauders.jpg
    397th_Bombardment_Group_-_B-26_Marauders.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 233
  • WWII-B-26-NOSE-ART-PHOTO-THE-MILK-RUN.jpg
    WWII-B-26-NOSE-ART-PHOTO-THE-MILK-RUN.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 238
Looking for any info and especially good photo of a B-26 with nose art "The Milk Run Special".
I have one very small grainy image, trying to help a young lady learn more about her grand daddy who was a crew member.
(Trying to get dates, theater, unit etc...)
My uncle, robert(bob). Bollinger was one of the crew. It's the only pic i had, til' i found this website.

My uncle bob bollinger was one of the crew.

I have been having trouble logging on, but it seems to have been resolved.i appreciate you response . I think my uncle might be deceased by now. And i only remembered that he flew on a plane with that particular nose art.
If i get another reply from you i'll send my emiail addy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back