Hamilton Standard Propeller Info

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey guys,

We just purchased a propeller blade from the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, and it arrived today. I'm wondering if someone here can help me out with some info on the blade.

The markings on the blade are as follows:

DWG. No. 7035A-9
Serial Number: N730916
LOW BLADE ANGLE 18.5
HIGH BLADE ANGLE 34.5

It is 62 inches from base to tip. I did a little bit of googling but came up with nothing, as I don't know what I'm looking for.

IMG_2668_zpssubi9zlq.jpg

Thanks!

Among others it was used on the DHC-3 Otter.

Looks like it is a prop approved for use with the Pratt & Whitney Wasp: R1340 S3H1-G or Wasp R1340 S1H1-G, using a 23D40 prop hub, per type certificate data sheet N° EA-8801 from Air Tractor.

If it is approved for an R-1340, it could come from almost any aircraft that uses an R-1340.

Last edited:
Thanks Greg! I tried a different search and found the DHC-3 mentioned as well.

Wuzak, it's actually some sort of maintenance logo, it says "ARADMAC Corpus Christi Texas, Supply and Maintenance Command". Sorry, I should have written that in the original post.

Yep, it's a Ham Std Hydromatic prop blade; you can tell by the blade butt and loose bearing race. A lot of maintenance and overhaul shops put their own labels in place of the prop manufacturers'. I used to work at a prop shop, where, incidentally I overhauled a pair of 23E50s from a DC-3 and re-profiled a set of Privateer blades to fit an Allison V-1710 going into the nose of a Yak-3, and our prop shop had stickers of the HS logo, but it had the name of the prop shop incorporated into the text in the bronze ring around the outside of the logo. They did the same with Hartzell props and the Hartzell logo.

The blades on the Hydromatic props were almost all the same, just profiled differently to suit their particular requirement. Profiling was all done by hand and eye. You drew what you thought was a good outline on one, then traced around it on the others and then cut the tips with a saw and shaped them by sanding until they all looked right.

Hi
Help identify the year of manufacture of the Hamilton Standard blade 6531A-15, serial number :
56904 SHANK CHG / SK 14126 GHG B 1 MFG. 582192

Thank you in advance

Hi
Maybe someone knows at least the start and end years of production of the blades type 6531A-15?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back