Luftwaffe Victory Claims Again

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
I got a PM that said the link was broken and a request to re-post, so here it is. The old limk wasa Zip file. My new PC has Office 2016 on it and that is no longer an option. My only option seems to be a pdf, so here is a pdf.

Unfortunately the file is too big in pdf format. Notr quite sure how to address this other than with snail mail ....

You can download the Win-zip, though the Total commander works just as fine, so fine that I don't have the Win-zip installed in any or my computers. BTW, the Windows should have the option to pack a file or a folder when you right-click.

Thanks. Old post, but it is a big file and probably gets "cleaned up" at times.

I got a PM asking me to re-post it.

No problem.

I have data for most countries involved in WWII, but not all. If I am not mistaken, the USA is the only country to do a post-war analysis of claims to arrive at a sort of "official" victory list. For the rest, we have claims. And the USA only did that for the USAAF, USN, and Marines ... but not for aircraft gunners. There is simply not enough data to verify all the gunner claims when maybe 10+ guys shot at an attacking fighter and it somehow got hit and shot down. No way to discern who actually got it, or how much damage was done in bomber boxes by friendly gunner fire.

I think these things will be argued forever more ... and I decline to participate in the revisionist history that has been going on for years.

It is totally great job. I found these charts too late... If you have information, could you please tell me about total claims by front?

Try Jan Safarik's site: Jan J. Safarik: Air Aces .

He has files sorted several ways. You can get the pdf, unlock it, and parse it in Excel. I did, but was not really happy with the results.

Here's the thing ...

1. Jan has a very good site for claims.
2. The USA studied the USAAF and Navy after WWII. No other country did an in-depth study, and all we have are their claims. And some of THEM are of dubious origin.
3. There are several other WWII victory lists, and most rely on other victory list websites. Included are: Fighter Pilot Aces List and many others. Most rely on Frank Olynyk's research.
4. Get an original Frank Olynyk book, if you can.

Good luck, and maybe share when you get either there or part-way. I'd help out if I could, and share it afterwards.

Thanks for information! I will check the information you gave.

I think, some misunderstanding were here. The question I had was luftwaffe claims by front. So, Eastern and Western front.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think, some misunderstanding were here. The question I had was luftwaffe claims by front. So, Eastern and Western front.

Try here, http://don-caldwell.we.bs/jg26/claims/tonywood.htm

I already tried with works of Tony Wood, but if I didn't missed something, figure of Wood's chart are quite smaller than other ones. For example, from Jan Safarik's chart, luftwaffe claimed they shotdowned 9,027 enemy planes(every front) from 22 june 1941 to end of the year. From Wood's work 3,398, same condition. I can't understand why these huge differences occured, even Safarik's chart is based on Wood's one. (From asisbiz.com's 3,977, same condition)

I want to some reliable source but I think I couldn't found it yet. If you have some more information, please tell me about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
gomwolf, maybe the discrepancy is because one is claims and the other confirmed.

Also, sometimes it took months for a claim to be confirmed, and in 1945 the system had broken down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back