Could the P36 have become America's Zero? (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

While the Dauntless was capable of putting up a fight against the Japanese (much to thier surprise), many did not survive.
The Speedy-D (as it was affectionately called) was one overall crackerjack aircraft. Put to the secondary role of a fighter, I'd put it pretty much how you put it.

Also, when Hughes set his record he was nearly 100mph behind the absolute record. He didn't have the horsepower of teh MC72, but nor did he have to lug around those whpping great floats!

With regards to the Hughes H-1 and the Bf 109D, was the latter armed an armored? If so, stripping a few of those things may help close the speed gap.

It is not so much a question of the weight (and 109Ds had no armor) as it is the drag.

3270.jpg

The Jumo powered planes had little or no exhaust thrust, a not very good radiator installation, partial wheel covers and semi retractable tail wheel (at best), a higher drag canopy, etc.

Was the P36 ever flown head to head against the F4F Wildcat in a mock dogfight?

Vichy French H-75s fought against F4F-4s in at the start of the North African invasion. My recollection is that it was a pretty even fight. If someone else mentioned this in previous posts, I apologize.

The closest example of an American A6M at the start of the war was the CW-21B. Light weight, no protection, fast climb.

Duane

Last edited:
While I don't really disagree with you on what you have stated here, but I do think there were some very good, non-FW 190 radial installations prior to 1942. Certainly one was the Hughes H-1 which was nearly, according to my estimate, 100 mph faster at sea level than the only slightly bigger and heavier, but more powerful, Bf-109D. Now it was indeed a superb aerodynamically designed hand built aircraft with much effort in detail to reduce drag, but it had to have a very efficient engine housing. Also, I suspect a lot of engineering went into the nacelle design of the B-26 since speed was paramount. Lastly, the F4U which flew in 1940 was quite comparable to the Fw-190 in performance and was MUCH heavier and had a comparatively huge wing (60% larger). I do not believe there was much improvement in the engine installation as the F4U performance increase significantly, although I could be wrong. I think the significant increases in hp post 1942 made smaller items in drag reduction such as elliptical wings and mid mounted wings, and possible radial engine installation of minor importance.

I don't think that Focke-Wolf had anything significant to teach US manufacturers in radial engine installation. Bluntly, I think the Fw190's radial installation was inferior to the US installations. I don't know why the RAF needed to see an Fw190 to become convinced that high performance and radial were not mutually exclusive features in a fighter aircraft; I'm sure that the British air attaché to the US had inklings that the Corsair had topped 400 mph on a test flight, the first US single-engined fighter to do so.

A lot of effort went into the nacelle design for most multi-engined aircraft, especially after the DC-2 and DC-3 showed that aerodynamic improvements offered lower operating costs. Overall, I think that the contribution of non-military aircraft design and development to aerodynamics in the 1930s is underestimated.

I don't think that Focke-Wolf had anything significant to teach US manufacturers in radial engine installation. Bluntly, I think the Fw190's radial installation was inferior to the US installations. I don't know why the RAF needed to see an Fw190 to become convinced that high performance and radial were not mutually exclusive features in a fighter aircraft; I'm sure that the British air attaché to the US had inklings that the Corsair had topped 400 mph on a test flight, the first US single-engined fighter to do so.

A lot of effort went into the nacelle design for most multi-engined aircraft, especially after the DC-2 and DC-3 showed that aerodynamic improvements offered lower operating costs. Overall, I think that the contribution of non-military aircraft design and development to aerodynamics in the 1930s is underestimated.
Kurt Tank took the established NACA design of the 1920's and improved on it. Not only did he enhance the cooling effect of the ducted spinner, but the design was seen to improve thrust due to the compressed hot air as it passed through the cowling.

Tank's first effort was a failure ala P-66. Did anyone else use a spinner fan in their radial? Certainly the late model F4U and F8F did not. In fact they did not even use a spinner cover. The beautiful Sea Fury used a spinner cover but not a ducted fan. As I have stated, I don't think the design was more efficient than the F4U design although we only have data on the total airframe and not just the engine installation.

I have read that the Hawk was up armed by the Finns with 2 12.7mm MG and 4 7.7mm MG by the mid Continuation War. Reports said that the addition of these weapons didn't affect the Sussu's handling and performance.

Not the Zero. By 1942 Zero was a poor performer.
No point copying that.

In most of 42 the standard US carrier fighter is still the Wildcat, which the Zero can handily out fly, though it is indeed rugged.

The Zero a poor performer by 1942? Hardly. It was thought to be almost invincible until well into 1943, almost 1944 by the US Navy. Even then it was well respected when encountered if flown by an experienced pilot. It remained a threat if well flown until the war ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back