SturmFw's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

check our web-site out guys/gals

Neil has brought back more SturmFw materials from our old site .................... YES !! look at my www posted

huge write up on 29 August 44 where the 15th AF 2nd bg was brutally attacked by IV.Sturm/JG 3 and remnants of JG 300 which took on the US P-51's of the 31st fg and P-38's

in the works shortly ............

more shameless plugging............go down midway and find new bios of the SturmFw pilots and pics to boot .......... on the web-site

HOGAN !!

Erich, per your post below. How do I get to this "Midway' and find the good stuff? GroundPilot

"........go down midway and find new bios of the SturmFw pilots and pics to boot .......... on the web-site...."

Erich,

I can't thank you enough for the detailed info about the IV/JG3's Dec. 24th 1944 raid on the 487th over Belgium. I am a distant relative of Hptm. Hubert York-Weydenhammer, who was Gruppenkommandeure of IV/JG 3 from Major Moritz's departure on Dec. 5th 1944 to Dec 25th 1944, when he went MIA. This is the first detailed account I have managed to find so far online!

Do you happen to know what Hptm. York-Weydenhammer's Sturmbock designation was? I am trying to find details on his plane. I find quite a few pictures of FW190 A8-R2s and A8-R8s with unknown pilots. I am hoping to trace one of them back to him. Any information you can share would be welcome!

can you send me a private by personal email ? check out my profile it should be listed there.

your relative although Kommandeur would likely have flown a number 1 early in the war and with a totally different unit. because there was the belief that noted aces and leaders of gruppen and stafflen were singled out by the low numbers of their flown A/C most assuredly York did not fly a 1 but a higher number, and there may have been cause to believe that he never flew that number at all and never had his own personal SturmFw.

In fact when he went MIA he was flying Fw 190A-8/R8 werke nummer 682310 and so marked on the fuselage : Black < 5.
the stab flight having possibly 3-4 heavy Fw 190's in their line up.

send me a private as I said, will be gone for 5 days on business but will try and check my personal mails.

E ~

can you send me a private by personal email ? check out my profile it should be listed there.

your relative although Kommandeur would likely have flown a number 1 early in the war and with a totally different unit. because there was the belief that noted aces and leaders of gruppen and stafflen were singled out by the low numbers of their flown A/C most assuredly York did not fly a 1 but a higher number, and there may have been cause to believe that he never flew that number at all and never had his own personal SturmFw.

In fact when he went MIA he was flying Fw 190A-8/R8 werke nummer 682310 and so marked on the fuselage : Black < 5.
the stab flight having possibly 3-4 heavy Fw 190's in their line up.

send me a private as I said, will be gone for 5 days on business but will try and check my personal mails.

E ~

Hello!
I hope you still monitor this forum! I would like to speak to you gentlemen regarding page 9 comments on this following thread...

I am researching information about a B-17 shot down over Leige by Weydenhammer and 3 others from JG3, on 24 Dec 1944. My grandmother's husband was the Ball Turret Gunner on that plane and was killed.

Please feel free to send me a PM or email.

Thank you for your time,
Cary

Last edited by a moderator:
Erich hasn't visited the site in over a year but someone may know how to get a hold of him. Also you might want to delete your email address here and then send it to him if someone knows how to get a hold of him.

Geo

thought I would throw in an older image this A-8/R8 of Bake in IV.Sturm/Jg 3 at the time of the hideous Ardenne aerial battles

I do not see any images on this thread. Can you repost or send this to me? Bake, of IV/JG3 shot down my grandmother's husband.

Ok, thank you for the help fubar, wurger and crimea! Erich often mentions looking at his website for information. Anyone know what the website is?

Last edited:
Rick (Erich) may be a member of FB WW2Aircaft site, you might post there. He also sees my FB site "355th Fighter Group" so you might post the question there - he will surely see it.

Hubert-York Weydenhammer had a long career with the Luftwaffe but until October 1944 he flew various bombers, serving with various units within LG 1. Like many he was converted to fighters in an act of desperation by the Luftwaffe, becoming Kommandeur of IV./JG 3 on 5th December '44. He claimed six victories between 2nd November '44 and his death on 25th December of the same year, including two four engine bombers.
I can't help with markings for his aircraft (if he had one) or the aircraft in which he went down (south east of Liege/Luttich towards St Vith).
Cheers
Steve

Hubert-York Weydenhammer had a long career with the Luftwaffe but until October 1944 he flew various bombers, serving with various units within LG 1. Like many he was converted to fighters in an act of desperation by the Luftwaffe, becoming Kommandeur of IV./JG 3 on 5th December '44. He claimed six victories between 2nd November '44 and his death on 25th December of the same year, including two four engine bombers.
I can't help with markings for his aircraft (if he had one) or the aircraft in which he went down (south east of Liege/Luttich towards St Vith).
Cheers
Steve

Fantastic, Steve! Thank you for this information! I am in touch with someone in Belgium that has started combing through what is believed to be the crash site of B-17 337569 that Hubert attacked on 24 Dec 44. Perhaps he might also locate the site of Hubert's crashed plane as well! The locations should not be that far from each other based on your intel. I am sure Hubert was flying a FW190-A8 of some variant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back