Awkward Hello (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nov 2, 2015
I registered an account here last night and decided to sleep on it before doing anything else, and returned this afternoon to discover that my account had already been deleted. Not quite sure why that happened but I'm going to assume it's inactivity-related, so I'm forcing myself to post this here in an attempt to make sure it sticks this time. You generally won't be hearing a lot out of me. Over the last several years I've discovered I'm not really a message board type of person; I don't speak unless I feel I have something meaningful to say that hasn't already been said by someone else, which is rare.

To be perfectly blunt, I created an account specifically to get download access to posted files. I know, I hate to be That Person, but it is what it is. I'm a writer, and a gearhead, and an aviation nut, and a stickler for details, so I'm doing detailed aviation gearhead research for a story and scouring every resource I can find for technical information on WWII and Korean era combat aircraft; I've already downloaded probably half of the Avialogs library by now. (I don't want to go into too much detail but the story/script is about mercenary fighter pilots in an alternate 1953-1957, so.) The Technical subforum here seems to be such a resource, and a Pretty Dang Good one at that, judging by having found the complete technical manual for the Mikulin AM-42 engine. Like, dang. It'll probably take me a year to translate that but hey, still, jackpot! So unless anyone needs me, I'll be silently lurking the Tech subforum for the next several weeks/months/years and maybe occasionally popping up to ask for help finding old radio manuals or whatever.

Miscellaneous info about me: I'm an automotive drivetrain technician by formal education and have tinkered at various points with gunsmithing, computer science, and mechanical clock/watch repair, among other things. I took my first flying lesson at age 12 in a Luscombe 8A and also logged several hours in a Schweizer 300CB as a teenager, but getting enough time to get my certificate (for either fixed or rotary) has never financially been in the cards. I'm also a huge linguistics nerd and speak/understand/read/write some Japanese but not as well as I would like to, and time I don't spend studying aircraft is generally spent studying kanji.

Pleased to meet you, and よろしくお願いします。

Welcome to the site Mate. Our main Admin is still working on editing all issues of the forum script. Unfortuntely the recent changing of the forum server settings caused a couple of them that need to be edited and corrected. Your previous account was created with an error and I've decided to delete it as an invalid one in order to avoid the farther troubles with it. Glad the new one is free of it and you could set it properly. Sorry for the trouble.

Last edited:
Thanks. No big deal, no harm no foul. I'm just glad I didn't lose access to my screen name or something like that.

You'll scare him away, the first new pati....member for years!
I only bit once, because they were touching my kits!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back