Realism - more than Patriotism

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Beautiful shots, MM!
My internet connection speed does not follow the large size files recently well but I'll try to catch.
Thanks for sharing!

Valdur's Passage

Valdur Soomet passed on Friday, November 20, just shy of his 99th BD. It was merciful. Below is Leks' obituary and a couple of snaps:

Valdur Soomet fulfilled many roles throughout his long and productive life. He was equal parts Isa, Vanaisa, and Vana-vanaisa to the respective members of his immediate family, myself included. He was a fisherman, an engineer, a gardener, a chess player and a Bridge player.

Between the years of 1916 and 2015, he watched the world unfold before his very eyes. And despite witnessing nearly a century of change within the span of one lifetime, he never allowed the world to change him. Nevertheless, when faced with the challenge of learning to cook for himself at 80-years of age, he predictably rose to the occasion. Preparing hand-written grocery lists with military precision, he and I would faithfully go grocery shopping every other week, with exact change always in hand. Even today, his grocery lists remain crystal clear in my memory: rye bread (two loaves), extra-large brown eggs (one dozen), pork hocks, and of course, Smarties. When he was no longer able to accompany me on our shopping expeditions, I knew I could always count on his meticulous instructions to guide me down those seemingly endless grocery aisles with confidence.

While it is true that chocolate was his currency of choice, it can equally be said that kindness was his stock-in-trade. He always made sure that no Birthday or Christmas was missed when it came to his two children, three grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren. Indeed, the greatest gift that he has given every member of his exponentially growing family is the gift of a better life in Canada than the one that he had to leave behind in Soviet-occupied Estonia during the Second World War. For this gift, we are thankful beyond words.

The world is a smaller place today than it was a week ago. Valdur's absence from the physical world leaves an immeasurable void, and the responsibility now falls on each and every one of us to fill the space that he has created for us to keep his memory alive. We will all remember him for what he meant to us: the fisherman, the engineer, the chess player. To the son of a farmer from Virtsu, Estonia, I offer these final words: "Negemist Vanaisa. Aitah."

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    779.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    890.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    768.5 KB · Views: 62
December 9. High 7, low one. Starting a new burn site ... day trip

Attachments

• IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 57
Hey, you two .... Get a ROOM!

Attachments

• justin-trudeau-prime-minister-canada-wife-sophie-gregoire-trudeau.jpg
    justin-trudeau-prime-minister-canada-wife-sophie-gregoire-trudeau.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 64
December 22, Day trip. Foggy, high 8, overnight low minus 1.

Attachments

• IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg