I need an internet savvy geeks help with 797 error! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
Somehow on my laptop I have buggerd it up and now I get a 797 error unable to find my modem, and I have found no one who cqan help. Anybody out there?????

Bill:oops:

I find the best thing to do is walk away, slowly count to 10, then casually come back to the computer and take to it with a hammer...

I also have a personal theory on why the basic packages are called "windows"...

Logging on to the internet. tells me error797A cannot access the modem.
Checked the modem, says it is working okay.
I have had someone tell me I have to reload windows,
trouble is I have Autodesk Inventor and a 3D program on I cannot replace.
I can only assume I have deleted some files or something???
Hepp, Hepp!

Have you tried this???

1. Log on to the computer as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
3. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
4. Click the Modems tab.
5. In the The following modems are installed list, click the modem that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
6. Click Yes in response to the "Are you sure you want to remove the selected modem(s) from your system?" message.
7. Restart the computer.
8. The Found New Hardware Wizard starts. Follow the instructions in the wizard to reinstall the modem.

I see no reason at all that you would have to completely reload windows due to a modem error.:rolleyes:

If all else fails and your laptop has a PCMCIA slot I'd check on e-bay for a PCMCIA card that has a NIC and Modem port. No way would I reload Windows for a modem failure. (that it providing you need to use a modem.
Try what Thorlifter said first, I suspect that may solve the problem.

The 797 error number says that it wasn't possible to set connection because the modem wasn't found or was " busy ". Usually it means that one or a couple of system files were damaged or missed. Bill, please check this site.. How To Fix Error 797

Please check the connecting cable between your computer and the modem. Unless it is the Wi-Fi device.

Bill, if you have a router, weather it be wireless of hard wired, try cutting it off and then back on. I got something similar once and this cured the problem. May or may not work. But it's worth a try.

Thanks for this Thor.
I will give it a go. And I don't see why I would reload windows either, there just isn't any one who wants to do anything requiring effort on their part.

You see, in my impatience I kept hitting cntrl, alt, del because it was taking so long to boot up.... sily I know.... now!

Modem is internal. It's a big Toshiba laptop.
External USB wireless, and this is okay cuz I am using it here on my wifes comp, and she says I gotta get mine FIXED pronto!

Have you tried this???

1. Log on to the computer as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start and then click Control Panel.
3. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
4. Click the Modems tab.
5. In the The following modems are installed list, click the modem that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
6. Click Yes in response to the "Are you sure you want to remove the selected modem(s) from your system?" message.
7. Restart the computer.
8. The Found New Hardware Wizard starts. Follow the instructions in the wizard to reinstall the modem.

I see no reason at all that you would have to completely reload windows due to a modem error.:rolleyes:

Thor, it dint work!

I compared my internet settings on my Toshiba with the ones on this one, reset mine, now I get error 6.
So I have gone to system restore to another date. Will have to see if the files were replenished to the Before condition.....

Thanks for your help guys................. I have gotten rid of error 797.............
BUT..
Now I have it down to error6................ dam! I can't seem to get rid of this one.

Thanks Wurg I did go there, and that found the old settings and got me to the error6. I will try and go back farther to see if 6 will go away to that Recycle bin in the sky!

Many thanks for the replies, Annie will be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back