And yet another "interesting" idea from Airbus... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
It looks like the design engineers have been working overtime over at Airbus lately.

Now, they've come up with an "innovative" detachable passenger compartment and according to some news sources, it's a "bold leap forward with new technology that will revolutionize the passenger and cargo airline industry". I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings to Airbus and these star-crossed news sources, but this concept is not even close to being new and the detachable cargo module never caught on, anyway.

The Fairchild XC-120 of late 40's vintage, was designed to have not only detachable cargo modules, but a variety of other modules were proposed, like rapid-deploy machine shops, triage or medical units, troop transport and even a field kitchen. Oh yeah, there was even a proposed passenger module for civil service.

There's also several helicopters now and in the past that have done this, one that comes to mind at the moment, is the Sikorsky S-64.

And I am wondering about this patent, because Fairchild designed and built a prototype, so I am wondering if the concept was ever patented?

Here's an article covering Airbus: Airbus patents way to load passengers in airplanes - Tech Insider

Board and exit airplanes like elevators: First in go to the rear and are the last out.

The way we board now is crazy...
We board from front to rear, with all the folks going to the rear (usually me) having to drag their clunky baggage past all the folks already in the front putzing about with their stuff in the overhead bins.

Every time I fly I am amazed how time consuming and annoying it is to have to "excuse me" "excuse me" 100 times as I try to get myself and my carry-ons down the aisle past all the folks in the front.

If it is really necessary to board first class first, then first class should have a separate boarding entrance.

Last edited:
As a passenger this would be a nightmare, board a container and wait until it is fixed in the plane and connected up. It may be good in theory for the airline, I would think it would add a huge amount of weight just making it structurally sound.

The thought that crossed my mind was how to secure the module to the airframe so that it has power, pressure and a seamless fit that resists cavitation.

And I agree about boarding. Many years ago, there used to be two boarding ramps for the larger aircraft that facilitated boarding or disembarking. Nowdays, it's a dog and pony show...

You know they could just set up numbered seating in the airport similar to the aircraft seating. Then when its time to board they just file into the aircraft loading back to front. Since they are already in order there is no smacking people on the way back. :)

You know they could just set up numbered seating in the airport similar to the aircraft seating. Then when its time to board they just file into the aircraft loading back to front. Since they are already in order there is no smacking people on the way back. :)
You do realize that you're making sense, right? :lol:

on certain aircraft that will lead to a slight problem.....the nose coming off of the ground...and tail smacking the tarmac. its best to keep the weight over the wheels for a while.....or you will need a long ladder to get to the door and a repelling outfit to get to your seat once in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back