Best Fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You guys seriously advanced the ship field. Had the most powerful navy in the world for a time.

But remember, it was in the U.S, where powered flight was born ;)

Who are they?

You need to get out more, Space ol'carp :lol:

Attachments

• wright.jpg
    wright.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,310
The Brits are good at flying the Corsair off carriers, beat the US to use carrier-based Corsairs anyways.

Viper said:
are you sure about that :confused:

Sorry, but it is true, M8 :oops:

The U.S Navy were the 1st operator of the F4U, but they found when the Corsair landed on the Deck it would bounce over the wire. The U.S Navy at the time were happy with the F6F so they gave all their F4U's to the U.S Marine Crops who use them as Land Based Fighters.

The Royal Navy knew about the bounce of the F4U but were in need of a Top Class Fighter and to cut a long story short, the Royal Navy and Vought improved the F4U so it was safe to land on Carriers. The U.S Navy impressed with this started putting the F4U's back into Navy service.

Hot Space

To expand on what Hot Space said, one major concern other than the bounce on landing was forward visibility in the birdcage Corsairs. The Brits got around this by having the Corsairs come in for landing from the side of the carrier and they only straightened out to land at the last moment so they had better visibility on their approach. Also, the FAA carriers hangar decks were slightly lower than the American's, so eight inches was cut off each wing tip (clipped wings). Inadvertantly this also reduced the bounce on landing somewhat.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure that vast majority of the design changes to the Corsair to make it better suited to carrier ops was by VF-17 Jolly Rogers and a Vought representative. They flew and were carrier-qualified in F4U-1 (birdcage) Corsairs. VF-17 and the representative came up with the small spoiler on the right (I think) wing so that the left wing wouldn't drop suddenly at low airspeeds (ie carrier landings), the first bomb racks for Corsairs if I'm not mistaken, an improved tailhook, and I think there were some other minor changes. VF-17 was ripping off tailhooks on carrier landings when the hooks got caught on the deck and when the hook broke it flew over the stern of the carrier, and in the ensuing wreckage no one realized the hook wasn't there. The reason it was realized that the tailhook was being torn off the Corsairs was that a greenshirt - who I think were the ones to get the wire off the tailhook - saw the hook going flying over the stern.

Well it depends on the technological situation of those certain times.
For 1930's the Bf109. For beggining of war, Focke wulf 190. And later on the Mustang seems to have exceeded above those.

P-51 isn't a carrier plane either...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back