Best Fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

its actually a stretched Dora-9, not just any old butcher bird! it has longer wings as well (Dora-9 was long nose version of Fw-190 with an inline engine for high alts and if you see a pic and think it has a radial it IS an inline) but Ta-152 had a better engine and the wings were longer than the fuselage by, oh, about 11 feet ir such

no it isnt, they were just made by the same company, designed by the same genius, shared the same basic airframe and concept (heavily armed high-alt interceptor (the Fw-190 could be considered high alt when it was first used)

Speed while important doesn't determine how great a fighter is. I don't think the Mustang or the Thunderbolt would qualify as the best fighter probably wouldn't even break a top 10 on my list.

The Me-109K while capable of competing with the latest US fighters was not as agile as previous models it did have a excellent rate of climb.

I think one of the best fighters was probably the Lavochin LA-7 very agile fast good firepower.

hey, I'm back, sorry, we've had more problems with our computer, we just had the whold thing reinstalled. Anywho, lets not forget the shiden, it could kick the ass of any allied fighter in the pacific, it just came in a bit late.................

hey, I'm back, sorry, we've had more problems with our computer, we just had the whold thing reinstalled. Anywho, lets not forget the shiden, it could kick the ass of any allied fighter in the pacific, it just came in a bit late.................

My hat is off to lancaster !. I have been a fan of Japanese aircraft and I am surprised how little is published about their design. There was a aircraft wind tunnel for design at Tachikawa AB Japan. A lot of Japanese aircraft designs were tested there. The USAF took over the base after WW2 and they converted the wind tunnel into a movie theater. While I was stationed at Yokota AB (about 18 miles away) in 1969 I went to the movie theater at Tachikawa many times. I wondered why the ceiling was concrete and curved so I asked someone. There is a lot of history in aircraft design by the Japanese engineers. But the Japanese did not have high octane gas for their airplane which was lucky for the B-29's The Shilden is a outstanding design.

Some of the Japanese aircraft were better performing aircraft then any of the allies.. I can not argue with that but. The Allies had self sealing gas tanks and armor for their pilots which made their aircraft safer but slower. Most of the cream of the Japanese aviation pilots were killed by the time of when defending the homeland became a priority. However the Japanese had a lot of enlisted pilots that were quite good. One thing an enlisted pilot learned right away was not to out perform any of the Officers in his flight group. Other allied Air forces used enlisted pilots to their advantage but the US Army air corp had no regular enlisted pilots that I know of. The Japanese air corp did a fine job with what they had on hand. It is a shame most of Japanese advanced airraft designs were brought back to the states and studied before being scraped. The Russians had lots of female fighter pilots but they are largely ignored for some reason. Mainly male pride I suppose. The United States used females to ferry their aircraft to other bases from the factories but the Air Force ignored their rights to benefits when they requested them. They were finally given some benefits but way after the war had ended. Shame on the USA for ignoring their war effort.

'the Americans will always do the right thing...when they've exhausted every other alternative' - Winston Churchill

It couldn't be put any other way...

GermansRGeniuses said:
no it isnt, they were just made by the same company, designed by the same genius, shared the same basic airframe and concept (heavily armed high-alt interceptor (the Fw-190 could be considered high alt when it was first used)

Are you blind? 8) they look very similar (except the Ta152 looks streched)

bronzewhaler82 said:
GermansRGeniuses said:

Are you blind? 8) they look very similar (except the Ta152 looks streched)
sarcasm..... it is sweet when you hand it out and sour when you taste it......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back