Parachute killings (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Adler is right...there is a huge difference between the BoB and the bombing campaign of Germany's cities...

Well, I was saying that the German civilians were more dangerous to downed Allied airmen than British civilians were to downed Axis airmen, even though both of them may not apreciate an enemy pilot in their wheatfield, and both probably had grudges agains't him. And the BOB was an attack on all of England.

A thread like this gets all kinds of thoughts going. I probably shouldn't touch it, but...

Pete Peterson was the pilot who pecked at the German pilot. Obie O'Brian has told me
that there were a few pilots that wouldn't of thought twice doing this, but didn't say
he knoew anyone that did.

Did it happen...of course. I'm sure most rational pilots wouldn't do this unless something triggered
a mental lapse and rage ensued.

Alot of finger pointing going on that I have no idea on, but my Wife's a Belarussian and
on my visits to her home country I've seen a number of monuments to the atrocities done
to the Russian Civilians by the German SS Squads that no wonder they became hated
by atleast the Belorussians. I'd say more German Pilots were killed by Civilians than the VVS
shooting them in their chutes.

No wonder the Russians did what they did to the German towns and people. Eye for an
eye..Tooth for a tooth. That's what it was. After this they thought all German's were
evil...they didn't realize that a Mad Man was teaching and leading them.

This link is to the most famous of the monuments. Let me tell you it was a somber place.
Where every home stood there is a stone column with a bell at
the top. One would ring here, then a min later another would ring across the field.
I had chills up my spine, my heart sank and tears were welling up in my eyes. Alot
of thoughts ran through my mind...the worst one is knowing that somewhere this
was happening now and more would come about in the future.

There always will be a mad man somewhere on Earth. :(

"Khatyn" - The tragedy of Khatyn

That is true unfortunately mad_max but its up to us to never allow a mad man to gain power as for the Germans there where victims of their own regime....my country experienced communism for more than 50 years and there's not much of a difference between a nazi regime and a soviet one...so like I said its up to us to never allow anything like this to happen...

That is a very sad story....
There are two ways to look at this i believe the view point of a computer or the view point of a human...
Computer- dont give a dam about him but if i kill him now he doesn't come back up tomorrow to have a go at me againe.....
Human- Better not if i don't he might encourage his mates not to as well...
And i would sure hate to be in his position if i decied to do it....
this is how i see it anyhow....

A couple of points - cross racial conflicts are typically more brutal / less 'honourable' than those within the same racial groups; hence allies Japan, germany Russia being more brutal than allies germany (largely an Anglo-Saxon war)

Certainly the Poles/Czechs saw no reason not to shoot at chutes but decency aside it was pointed out to them that in the BoB downed pilots were going to be captured anyway.

On civilians killing pilots it certainly happened - I've read of RAF pilots being rescued from mobs by passing Luftwaffe personnel. Many however were killed by civilians on landing.

It certainly happened in the UK too but being more densely populated downed LW aircrew were more likely to fall into official hands before harm could come to them. Not sure I'd rely on the fair-play of local Home Guard units though.

Put me in mind of a story and old boy told me when I kid:

LW plane crash land on the hills of North Wales on a dark night miles from anywhere and the pilot is confronted by a local Home Guard soldier.

HG soldier is shouting at him in Welsh*, poor LW guy hasn't a clue and continues walking forwards as Welshman points rifle, works the bolt etc.
God knows what the LW guy must have thought. AFAIK no blood was spilt.

* unlike any language you've ever heard, it's 000's of years old. Back then many 'ordinary' N Walians had little English.

In the book "Death Traps" (about American Tank units) the author mentions an incident where a Luftwaffe pilot was so intent on killing a B-17 crewman in a parachute that he ended up running into the ground (the crewman was unhurt).

I read in the same book (I think it was that book) that the AAA gunners would shootdown parachuting airmen much to the dismay of the citizens. Back to the 'Chute Shooting' though, pilots didn't normally do this because it was cowardly and the pilot was no longer a threat so why bother?

Actually this has been covered here before a few times and proven.

USAF - Yes there was a couple groups that unofficially encouraged shooting German pilots, who flew jets, in their parachutes. Their thought was if they flew jets they had to be aces so lets kill them. Erich knows the groups off by heart. But by far most USAF pilots were against it as a rule.

What sorces do you have for 'encouragement' ??

UK - Never heard that it was encouraged or a rule.

Russia - Well of course they did, they were nearly as bad as the Japanese.

Sources?

Germany - Never encouraged or made a rule. They were against it always.

Yet there were reported examples!

Japanese - They were hands down the leaders in parachute kills.

That all being said there were of course certain cases of of pilots shooting other pilots in their chutes from all countries......but they were the exception and not the rule. Few and far between in most cases, unless you are talking about the Japanese (or Russian) of course.

Again, sorces for your comments? It is one thing to extract from a personalWWII anecdotal story, another to document incident and investigation.

BTW - one of my uncles was shot and killed at Nijmegan by German soldiees while hanging in a tree - and another was part of an Ranger execution event at Dachau where the dumb young German guards were still hanging around when the 5th Rangers liberated Dachau.

It happened but stories and verified incidents are different discussions.

This is from Tom Blackburn's, "The Jolly Rogers"*

Page 240: "Rog cold-bloodedly closed to within 100 yards and fired all his guns into the Zeke's wing root and engine. The Zeke's canopy slid back and the pilot hurtled into the slipstream just before the plane caught fire. Rog strafed the chute, but his shots probably only bracketed it."

Page 247-248: "As the gray fog evaporated, I spotted the recently blossomed parachute. I swung back to finish off the Japanese pilot; if I didn't, I reasoned, he probably would be up to meet us the next day -- smarter, and look for me. Unbelievably the harness was empty. A closer look at the dangling straps revealed that they had burned through. At that moment, it was not at all pleasant to think about the Japanese pilot's 18,000-foot unarrested dirve to the surface."

* Pocket Books paperback ISBN 0-671-69493-6

JL

This is from Tom Blackburn's, "The Jolly Rogers"*

Page 240: "Rog cold-bloodedly closed to within 100 yards and fired all his guns into the Zeke's wing root and engine. The Zeke's canopy slid back and the pilot hurtled into the slipstream just before the plane caught fire. Rog strafed the chute, but his shots probably only bracketed it."

Page 247-248: "As the gray fog evaporated, I spotted the recently blossomed parachute. I swung back to finish off the Japanese pilot; if I didn't, I reasoned, he probably would be up to meet us the next day -- smarter, and look for me. Unbelievably the harness was empty. A closer look at the dangling straps revealed that they had burned through. At that moment, it was not at all pleasant to think about the Japanese pilot's 18,000-foot unarrested dirve to the surface."

* Pocket Books paperback ISBN 0-671-69493-6

JL

I wasn't saying it didn't happen - what I did say is that the evidence is anecdotal so, in absence of any official investigation/reports, it is impossible to obtain either the magnitude or the patterns...

You made very specific allegations and comments that you haven't cited references for - such as "USAF - Yes there was a couple groups that unofficially encouraged shooting German pilots, who flew jets, in their parachutes."

Sources???

Most USAAF pilots understood there were a lot more B-17 and B-24 crews drifting around as easy targets than LW pilots so nobody was 'encouraging' their squadrons to shoot guys in chutes. I suspect if word of that practice 'drifted around' that 8th AF Command would come down on those Group CO's like a ton of bricks.

The second major issue of an 'unofficial policy' like that is the POW 'problem' if you start banging away at LW pilots in chutes.

Understand that I KNOW it happened on both sides - what I am pulling the 'BS Flag' on is your comment that USAF had a policy to shoot LW pilots in chutes... even limited to 'one or two groups'

EDIT - this Last comment was directed to Hunter368 - not to Butter

If you have evidence to the contrary I really would like to see it.

Last edited:
Are you talking to me? in case you haven't noticed, the above is the only post I made on the subject. As for allegations, specific or otherwise, the only one I'm making is that you seem to be imagining things.

Talk about 'BS flags'...

JL

Are you talking to me? in case you haven't noticed, the above is the only post I made on the subject. As for allegations, specific or otherwise, the only one I'm making is that you seem to be imagining things.

Talk about 'BS flags'...

JL

Butters - you are right. I was referring to Hunter368 remarks and his anecdotal references and you jumped in with another anecdotal comment.

My BS flag was directed to Hunter but you are welcome to pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back