AVG Hawk-81A-2 colours preview (for flight sim) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hawk81

Recruit
Sep 18, 2015
Been reading high and low about exactly what colours were used on those AVG Hawks.
I came to the conclusion that it's going to remain one of those mysteries, more or
less. The colors here are based one a few colour photo's, actual AVG pilot memories,
and some guess work. Opinions would be very welcomed :). Anyways..

This Hawk-81A-2 was formerly attached to the 2nd Pursuit Squadron. The 'Bulldog' insignia was applied to both sides of the aircraft as a reference to Haywood's days as an USMC pilot. Of particular interest are the partial remains of a 'Flying Tiger' insignia that peeled off during flight. The discoloration of the surrounding area by the protective varnish applied to secure the decal is still visible. A new decal complete with blue victory "V" has been applied.

Source: AVG Colours and Markings By Terrill J. Clements. Flying Tiger Flying Tiger w/ V by Roy Williams of THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY.

grab1392_zpsepr2jhfi.gif

Seems I made a major mistake on the flying tiger with 'V' and the size of the sharks mouth, according to a original video clip I received. :oops:

Thanks guys!

Revised somewhat according to more photo's/video clips. Added more yellow to the the sand,
darkened up the green a little, bigger CAF roundels, and reshaped the dope over the decals:

grab1428_zpskzgpqoor.gif

I'd recommend making the underside more of a pale green-grey (to match RAF Sky) than what currently seems to be more of a neutral grey. The AVG airframes were painted in US equivalents to RAF colours and, while not exact matches, they were pretty close. The contention that AVG Hawks were painted grey underneath is purely based on personal interpretation of (often several generations removed) colour photos rather than any documentary proof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back