Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ju-88

• He 177

• Other

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why should you have to test it, the B-29 could do everything the Lancaster could, and do it better. The B-29 was the best bomber of the war, better than the B-17, better than the B-24, better than the Lancaster...the BEST BOMBER!

the b-29 walked all over the lanc but the ;anc walked all over the b-17 and evey thing walked all over b-24

I really don't see how you can make that statement. The B-24 carried a larger load than the B-17, to a greater range, and at a faster speed. If the B-17 can be argued to have been better than the Lanc (and this site had shown that it can) that clearly it can be argued that the Lib was better than the Lanc.

I believe the B-29 was the best, with B-24 and Lanc drawing in second and the B-17 hanging behind in third. The B-24 was certainly not walked over by anything.

Well said Plan_D even if I do not like the B-29.

I mentioned the Sim only to have fun in flight, not to base hard facts from the true aircraft. The sims are just fun to fly with friends. :)

A bomber dogfight, Interestign. Now that CC says the P-38 was better, ans this opening a big can of worms, but put it agains the Mossie :eek:

We will need to limit that to the bomber versions of both say the level and Divebombers. I forget the version marks for the P-38 think it is the J that could do it, but the "Snoop Nose" was a clear nose for level bombing. Just a thought to talk about bombing :)

It was called the Droop Snoot. Several J and L versions were modified by rooming the guns, adding a bombardier/navigator station, bombsight, and considerable armor ballast to maintain the center of gravity. They flew at least a few true strategic bombing missions. Results were promising but the idea of there were simply too many B-17s and B-24s being produced not to use them.

The Mosquito was the superior of the two, it's combat record surely show it. They weren't bombing the target, they were bombing the parts of it.
Amiens Prison: West Wall, canteen, soldiers barracks and gate house....

I would be careful including those missions because (to me) they fall under the catergory of attack missions rather than true bombing missions (weren't they flown by FB marks anyway?). Anyway, the accuracy achieved had more to do with the profile of the missions that any particular attribute of the Mossie.

No, they are bombing missions. They dropped bombs, and didn't strafe or use rockets. The aircraft has to be able to do the mission, and the Mosquito did. And might I add with only one loss which was to a scrambled Fw-190.

If we think about the "best" bomber that should be B29 but unfortunately he appeared kind of too late. So my vote goes to the work horse B 17 followed very closely by the mighty Lancaster.

Cheers

cheddar cheese said:
the b-17, b-29 and lancaster were all great, im surprised the b-24 didnt get thatthat many voted.

Maybe because it wasn't so tough as the already mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back