Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ju-88

• He 177

• Other

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
B-17s shot down alot of German fighters. Note, I am not claiming that they could properly defend themselves OR that they were winning air superiority but they were inflicting considerable casualaties on the Luftwaffe. Look at all the wacky ideas the Luftwaffe tried to use against them for proof. And it is a matter of fact that the B-17 was shooting down more German planes per sortie than the B-24.

I wouldn't say the losses were considerable. The B-17 was inflicting them, but they couldn't defend themselves. The B-29 would have done a lot better, flying higher out of the Flak and at very high speeds.

Go the mossie all the way! it was a versatile wooden wonder that could outrun most enemy planes but i think the poll should have a look at the vickers wellington

No it shouldn't. The Wellington doesn't compare to the B-29, which was the best bomber of the war.

The Wellington was probably the best the RAF had until the deployment of the B-29 but Plan_D is right it can't compare to the B-29.

That last post should have read until the deployment of the Lancaster. My finger were getting ahead of my brain. Sorry bout that.

Brad, the pic is the great Mrs. Elenore Rosevelt. I hope you will take a little time to read about her, the quote goes with her pic. She helped run the country and the war while FDR was sick!

As for this bit on the Wellington, I agree it was a very good plane and could do it all, then came the Halifax! Lanc, I was reading that the Halifax played a big role in the Terpitz going down :)

Neither have I, an explanation is in order.

I know the RAF used "special planes" to search for electronic holes in the Norwegian radar coverage. Could those have been Halifaxes?

A I was looking around the web for some Halifax information i came across a site that says they were used in the spring of 1942 to try and bomb the battleship in port in Norway. It did not work that well and missions against here went on until 1944, when yes the Lancaster did drop the 12,000lb bombs to end the ship.

The site is an interesting one dedicated to an RAF pilot. It has helped with some information and is a nice spot to look for more material. Here it is: mysite.freeserve.com/archie_bombercommand

I'd go the lanc :D

Attachments

• se5a4.gif
    se5a4.gif
    27.3 KB · Views: 643
The Lanc couldn't begin to compare with the B-29. Speaking of B-29s, the only one in the world still flying is in town and I'm going to see it tomorrow.

Lightening, I just brought the Halifax up because it did fly missions against the battleship. The fact it was in Norway tied up numbers of ships and aircraft.

As for this bit about B-29s, they would be the best Heavy, but how about the B-25 or Wellington for best medium range 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back