1/72 Scale Aircraft Hangar (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Capt. Vick

Staff
Mod
Jul 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
I am building (and with any luck will finish :lol:) a 1/72 scale aircraft hangar and I though you would all like to come along. The kit is from the Polish company GPM available in 1/48, 1/50, 1/87, 1/72 and 1/144 scales. Basically it's laser cut thin and, for some parts, corregated cardboard with a sheet of clear (and cloudy) acetate for use as windows.

HANGAR1/72-cut with laser model

I bought mine from Gamahobby.eu because with shipping and all it was the cheapest ($29.50 USD total). It arrived in great condition.

Military airplane hangar 1/72 (laser cut) gamahobby.eu

As you can see, the instructions consist of little more than an exploded view so "dry-fitting" will be the watchword of the day.

produkty-254827-2-jpg-1900-1200.jpg

Fortunately I have found two other build alongs online to help with some of the mysteries. Although they are both in 1/48 scale, they are proving very useful. The main difference being that my base and roof trusses are all one piece, while theirs is two due to the size required.

1/48 GPM Hangar - Work in Progress - Aircraft - Britmodeller.com

1:48 Scale Aircraft Hangar Diorama - Work in Progress - Aircraft - Britmodeller.com

Anyway the first step is to glue the floor of the hangar down to some suitably firm base material. The material I used was some leftover packing material that came with a recently purchased generator. This was a mistake as it turned out that it was too thin and thus flexible. After I glued the base on it the board warped. No big. I will put a frame around the bottom edge after I true-up the sides. I would have liked to make the base larger, but the size was determined by the maximum I can place in my IKEA display cabinet!

20151105_183205_resized.jpg

20151129_192433.jpg

The glue I used to attached the floor of the hangar to the base was "Neutral pH Adhessive" made by Lineco. It's a permanent PVA glue that dries clear, remains flexible and from what I understand is sometimes used in book binding. Clean-up is easy with just water.

20151105_184053_resized.jpg

20151105_184118_resized.jpg

Note the "BEST USED BY DATE"! I bought it like 3 days before. Note to self!

20151105_190344_resized.jpg

I used a cheap foam paintbrush to apply the glue to both the top of the base and the bottom of the Hangar floor. I was afraid the working time would be too short, but everything worked out fine. Left a stack of books on it overnight and all was good!

Well time to watch SNL on the DVR with the wife. More tomorrow...maybe!

Last edited:
Hi Jim, I'm sure we'll have a very fun time enjoying and accompanying you on your project.
Felicidades amigo, saludos :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Tremors*(1990)

Earl Bassett: "We gotta run. We've got a schedule to keep."

Valentine McKee: "Yeah. See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me."

Unlike the fictional characters played by Fred Ward and Kevin Bacon in that classic movie, I hope to avoid falling into that same immobilizing rut that ended my previous two builds prematurely.

Anyway, on with the show. After Googling: "Aircraft Hangar Interiors" to find just the right combination of colors I just said screw it and decided on red framing and "aged white" interior walls. First the frame work. I tried 3 different red paints and just for S G's a red Sharpie marker, and wouldn't you know it, I like the Sharpie! What do you think?

20151129_192833_resized_1.jpg

While it may look sloppy in the picture, that is only because the scrap material is still present between the webbing.

Next step will be painting the interior walls the previously mentioned "aged white". This will represent a milestone for me: the first use of my airbrush! (Just like Fubar57) What better to practices on that some flat pieces of cardboard right? Right?

Anyway, it's forecast to rain here for the next few days so I don't how that will impact my plans. Anyway, you all take care OK?

Speckled Hen for everyone!

Last edited:
OK so today was the day, December 6th, a day which will live for 24 hours! But more importantly it would signal my entrance into the magical world of airbrush usage! Sadly when I removed everything from their boxes there was a problem...I'll let the picture explain:

Damn.JPG

There was just no combination of hoses and fittings that came with the compressor or either one of my airbrushes (Badger model 200 Paasche Talon) that could get the air from point A to point B. So off to the internet, where I found this. I hope what I need is in there somewhere!:

Capture.JPG

Come on Mr. Postman, get on your horse!

While we are waiting for the attachments to arrive I thought I would post a couple of pictures of the spray booth I made out of a small closet in my man-cave/hangar:

20151206_134640.jpg

With the light off...

20151206_134600.jpg

...with the light on.

Yeah well, that is a problem at the moment. That black thing is a twin-fan unit that is set into the table there. It has 2 x 4" diameter exhausts that I have to "vent overboard" somehow. Was thinking up into the attic space or out through a modified decorative window, but will likely just punch through the wall to the outside. Having my contractor friend come over and suggest something. For the time being it will do as it is. I plan on initially spraying water based acrylics and I do have a mask so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back