Matchbox 1:72 scale Junkers Ju 188 brain pain train.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bustedwing

Tech Sergeant
Dec 6, 2005
North Delta BC
I thought this was the best place to post this as there is no " Start to Garbage can " section. All I can say is one miserable POS kit. I've built lots of Matchbox kits before and never had the problems I had with this. I'm sure a lot of it was just the age of the kit. Plastic was like glass. When I tried to cut out the windows in the belly the kit deleted the plastic just chipped and eventually split. Fixed. When scribing the panel lines on the wings the wings split, 3 different times. Re enforce the inside, putty sand and press on due to some encouragment from other modelers and my determination not to give up on a kit no matter how feeble it is.
Scratch built a cockpit for it that turned out great along with a bombay and some details to the landing gear. Then everything pretty much went to hell in a hand basket. Landing gear snapped when I bumped it. Rear stabilizer broke off removing masking tape. Got distracted while forming the canopy and the wood frame the plastic sheet was in caught fire while being heated. ( good thing, found out the smoke detector in the basement had packed it in ). Got it down to paint and decals, the decals were fine which I was totaly anticipating brain pain over. When I peeled of the masking tape the inside of the cockpit was full of grey over spray. Why no green or blue just grey ????. Then I think my subconcious took over, while trying to remove the vacu formed canopy I made I fumbled it. It hit the floor and literally exploded like a glass Christmas tree ornament. It was at this point I said F it and threw the bastard in the can !

new%20002_zpszbyzsx9f.jpg

models%20001_zpsfrpwdsyi.jpg

landinggear%20002_zpsm14k6005.jpg

misc%20012_zps4rib47b5.jpg

misc%20005_zps6rrrsuc7.jpg

A nice hobby though, isn't it? I think that's the first time I heard someone having to douse a fire during the build! :lol:

Darned shame, as it looked like it was turning out very nicely. I guess the plastic must have really aged !
I've been working on an old Revell 1/32nd scale Mosquito, where the plastic has turned really brittle with age, so I know how you feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back