Tamiya 1/48 P-51B Build (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Liked your summary, it's a summary I could have, should have written coming back in to the hobby after a long layoff. Verbatim. And I am with all here, the finished product is a nice piece to show off. And I am with you, time at the bench is a good place to be.

Well done.

****And BTW, for as many P-51's I've ever looked at, and built a couple, I never noticed the guns staggered up and down...... ! or was it just the D model? and the B had 2 in each wing??

Last edited:
I have found a couple of references for the B model having 4 50 cals versus the 6 for the D model. As for the vertical stagger of the guns, I THINK I ran across a picture that shows the stagger, but I cannot find it now. If I run across it, I will post the link to this thread.
There is a wikipedia article on the 51 variants that discusses the 4 versus 6 gun armament:North American P-51 variants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dale

One of the pics Gary (Geedee) posted recently, possibly in the 'Mustang' thread, shows the apparent 'stagger' of the guns in the P-51B/C wing to good advantage. The two guns per wing were angled over, in order to fit into the wing, a method which caused feed problems under certain 'g' conditions. This was partially alleviated by fitting step motors, from B-26 waist guns, but not completely cured, until the 'D' model, and the vertically mounted three guns per wing.

Hey, Guys,
Yeap, GeeDee did post a beautiful pic in post #141 in this thread showing the stagger of the guns very clearly.
Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back