1/48 Lancaster Paddle Bladed Props.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There is always a trouble with the kind of markings. In some pics these seem to be of the white or darker what indicates the yellow. Unfortunately I found only two enlarged shot of her. Both are of quite poor quality. The left shot ( believing the caption ) was taken after the war. All markings look dark. The right image wasn't dated and all markings look of the same tone although the "X" still looks lighter. Comparing these to the pic you posted above I would say the "X" was of the white while the rest markings of the yellow.

KB732.jpg

As I mantioned the trouble is that the two colours may look different because of the light conditions, angle and distance. Please see the two shots of the another Lanc I grabbed from the net. The left image is of the general type and all markings look like being painted with the same colour. But the right that was taken closer reveals the the inscription was of the white rater.

lanc.jpg

Oh I have crisse-crossed post with Terry. But I agree with him.

BTW.. I have found the one additionally. No sure if it is the orginal kite or the post-war one from the the Canadian Warplane Heritage collection. But the lighter "X" can be noticed clearly.

KB732_.jpg

the pic source: the net.

A quite interesting is that the Lanc profile can be found in the Airframe & Miniature no.20 - The Avro Lancaster (including The Manchester) Part One book. Additionally there is a pic of the KB732 nose. However the profile has the all markings of the yellow.

lonc3.jpg

the source: Airframe & Miniature #20 - The Avro Lancaster (including The Manchester) Part One | AeroScale

The illustration there seems to be of the modern one though. I have found the shot in our Media collection.
full.jpg

A quite interesting is that the Lanc profile can be found in the Airframe & Miniature no.20 - The Avro Lancaster (including The Manchester) Part One book. Additionally there is a pic of the KB732 nose. However the profile has the all markings of the yellow.

View attachment 741482
the source: Airframe & Miniature #20 - The Avro Lancaster (including The Manchester) Part One | AeroScale

The illustration there seems to be of the modern one though. I have found the shot in our Media collection.
View attachment 741483
Background of that shot is so much lighter.

I would go for the yellow / white seems what 20 year old would do as a logo.

Awesome stuff guys. I agree with all here White X and yellow for everything else.

Also, one other question. For KB732 would she have still mounted the .303's on the Dorsal and rear turrets or 50's? I am thinking because of the date of service still the .303's?

Awesome stuff guys. I agree with all here White X and yellow for everything else.

Also, one other question. For KB732 would she have still mounted the .303's on the Dorsal and rear turrets or 50's? I am thinking because of the date of service still the .303's?

I would say the .303's.

Another source of paddle propellers would be for a C-54/DC-4, F4U Corsair or the TBM/TBF Avenger Torpedo Bomber, they blade is a 6507/6501/6541 of 13 feet in diameter. The Lancaster used the 6519-0 blade at 13 feet in diameter; the 6519 had a slightly greater width in the inner 50 percent of the blade.
The Mosquito used a DeHavilland Propeller at 12-foot 6 inch in diameter and some of the propeller type were A5/164 or A5/165, but used a Hamilton Standard at 12 feet in diameter with 6519-12 blades, model 23EX-583.
Below is the CWH Lancaster in August 2023. Under that is picture of two Mosquito Propellers in for service June 2023. Both used the paddle 6519 blades.
2023-08-19 12.25.30.jpg
2023-06-22 07.20.49.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back