F4U-1 Corsair "blast tubes" for .50 cal MG's?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MrSmoothie

Airman
Jan 21, 2019
My friend (who has just completed and flown an 86" span Corsair, a 15-year project) were discussing what you would actually see through the openings in the leading edge. I remember that the Corsair used "blast tubes" because the .50 cal MG's were set back in the wing and staggered to allow for gun belts. But after doing every possible search I can imagine, I cannot find any details or photos of these blast tubes, other than the much reproduced cutaway drawing.

--First, what were their diameters?
--Most importantly, what did the "muzzle" end actually look like? Or was there an "end" (see my supposition below)?
--And how far back from the wing's leading edge was the "muzzle" of the blast tube? (if there was one visible, again see below)
--Were they three different lengths to account for the staggered gun position?

Supposition: It seems that the gun ports are "molded" or "blended" to the inside, and not merely holes cut into the leading edge of the wing -- I wondered if the blast tubes would appear as essentially seamless tubes going back, the same diameter as the L.E. and that eventually you'd see the ends of the .50 cal barrels, at three different distances from the L.E.?. I suspect that these parts may be missing from some if not most Corsairs in museums.

Any info or photos would be appreciated!

Artwork-blue-print-technical-diagram-Chance-Vought-F4U-Corsair-line-drawings-0B.jpg Chance-Vought-F4U-Corsair-Cutaway-Drawing.jpg

John10, thanks very much -- mystery solved. I had wondered if the blast tubes were integral with the external finish "bezels" or whatever you want call them. Now I know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back