John Boyd, opinions? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I stand corrected of Dicky Cheney's status.

The reason Boyd was never mentioned in any acknowledgements for his influence in warfare doctrine or the design of aircraft such as the F-15 & F-16 was because of his abrasive manners & contempt for the blue suiters. Boyd was well known for talking with his mouth full of food & this often resulted in Boyd spitting food into the face of generals unfortunate enough to be caught standing in front of him.

Quick edit:

Boyd also used to take his finger & poke the generals (or any of the blue suiters for that matter) in the chest as his voice could be heard booming in the hallways.

When someone would request a "Brief," Boyd would insist that he be allowed all day to make the presentation. If the person making the request for the Brief to be condensed to two hours or less, Boyd's typical response was "How about NO Brief?" & would slam the phone down.

Given just those few examples that I've listed, it shouldn't be a surprise that Boyd's contribution to the military & his extensive research into tactics & aircraft design would be largely ignored or even swept under the bus & his funeral was attended by a vast majority of Marines but only two reps from the Air Force.

Last edited:
I stand corrected of Dicky Cheney's status.

The reason Boyd was never mentioned in any acknowledgements for his influence in warfare doctrine or the design of aircraft such as the F-15 & F-16 was because of his abrasive manners & contempt for the blue suiters. Boyd was well know for talking with his mouth full of food & this often resulted in into the face of generals.
The best I can find was that Boyd met with Cheney when he was a Representative.
This myth of him saving us in Desert Storm is textbook Cult of Boyd. Where the EM charts guy (with help from others) and F-15/F-16 helper (he did NOT single handedly design both planes) becomes Cult Of Boyd with superhuman powers and hounded by persecution.
I won't get into some of the more unseemly people who became Cult of Boyd acolytes.

I was at the Pentagon when Cheney was SecDef. It was hard to get through to him. He issued a policy that said that BEFORE a service sent him OR one of his deputies a letter he wanted them to get coordination from the Deputy to who it was directed. Okay, so you basically had to get concurrence from the guy you wanted to send a letter that said, "The USAF position is..." BEFORE you sent it. And of course that guy could slow roll you forever or just not be available to coordinate.

Definitely agree re the Cult of Boyd issue. I do however strongly appreciate the OODA loop and have applied it numerous times in real world business (those interested in the business applications should read the following: Certain to Win: The Strategy of John Boyd, Applied to Business) and can understand it's use in both military and other situations.

I do also like the following supposed quote attributed to him: "Do you want to be someone, or do you want to do something?" I like it because I see too many people these days who just want to be someone - i.e. have the title or supposed status and not actually contribute anything to society...looking your way many "influencers", politicians, rank climbers...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Definitely agree re the Cult of Boyd issue. I do however strongly appreciate the OODA loop and have applied it numerous times in real world business (those interested in the business applications should read the following: Certain to Win: The Strategy of John Boyd, Applied to Business) and can understand it's use in both military and other situations.

I do also like the following supposed quote attributed to him: "Do you want to be someone, or do you want to do something?" I like it because I see too many people these days who just want to be someone - i.e. have the title or supposed status and not actually contribute anything to society...looking your way many "influencers", politicians, rank climbers...
Yes he said that in talk he gave that's on YouTube.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back