P-38 wing mounted infrared laser used for tower ID during approach and landing in the pacific theater during WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Exactly, but every man and his dog will call it an "Infra Red Camera" I was confused by the lens, since the camera couldnt see through glass. It looked like a glass lens with a gold coating like Astronauts had on their visors, but I was told its actually a tricky ceramic compound.
Not surprising since gold is the best reflector there is in the IR, especially in the longer wave IR range. IR telescope reflector mirrors are coated with thin-film gold, unlike visible-range telescopes that are coated by evaporating aluminum on their mirror. Satellites are routinely wrapped in gold coated foil to reflect the sun's IR so they maintain a reasonable temperature.

Not surprising since gold is the best reflector there is in the IR, especially in the longer wave IR range. IR telescope reflector mirrors are coated with thin-film gold, unlike visible-range telescopes that are coated by evaporating aluminum on their mirror. Satellites are routinely wrapped in gold coated foil to reflect the sun's IR so they maintain a reasonable temperature.
I dont know if it was gold but it had that sort of look, heres a pic I found,
1696547454407.png

There are accounts of US aircraft entering the landing pattern - and not night fighters- at Japanese air bases in the Pacific, and responding to the tower's light signals with lights of their own before slamming on the power and opening fire.
Japanese fighters tried to land aboard the Yorktown in the Coral Sea one evening.

Not intentionally, of course.

"nm" is also internationally recognized when used in Infrared context.
Certainly! But you need to multiply your numbers by 1000 if you use 'nm' units instead of 'μm'. :) You can type 'um' or 'mkm' as well - both are also "internationally recognized". Or just a bit longer press 'π' in the additional numerical keyboard layout...

I apologize for grumbling remarks - I just dealt with various kinds of spectroscopy/spectrometry for a long time in the past. :pompous:

The pilot's manuals don't describe the radar equipment, either.
The closest thing to radar on the P-38 was the AN/APS-13 Radio Warning System and it is described on Page 55, how it works, how to operate it, switches, etc..

Which stands for "nanometer", yes.

"nm" is also internationally recognized when used in Infrared context.

This peice of shit phone also lacks Greek characters, so nm it is. :thumbleft:
Dave - µm stands for micrometer, not for nanometer :)

The closest thing to radar on the P-38 was the AN/APS-13 Radio Warning System and it is described on Page 55, how it works, how to operate it, switches, etc..
In 1943 the Fifth AF in the Pacific modified acouple of P-38F as night fighters with SCR-540 radar sets. These were followed by a couple of P-38J conversions in 1944 with AN/APS-4 radars in pods under the wings.

And finally in 1945 came the two seat P-38M night fighter with AN/APS-4 in an under nose pod. These were just about to enter service as the war ended. 75-80 built.

And I forgot.

Some of the P- 38J/L Droop Snoot aircraft were fitted with H2X aka AN/APS-15 (BTO or Mickey) radar sets in the ETO for pathfinder work. These replaced the plexiglass nose.

In 1943 the Fifth AF in the Pacific modified acouple of P-38F as night fighters with SCR-540 radar sets. These were followed by a couple of P-38J conversions in 1944 with AN/APS-4 radars in pods under the wings.

And finally in 1945 came the two seat P-38M night fighter with AN/APS-4 in an under nose pod. These were just about to enter service as the war ended. 75-80 built.

And I forgot.

Some of the P- 38J/L Droop Snoot aircraft were fitted with H2X aka AN/APS-15 (BTO or Mickey) radar sets in the ETO for pathfinder work. These replaced the plexiglass nose.

And the Pilots Manuals/Notes for those specific aircraft would have explained how to use, turn on/off and operate those devices.

And the Pilots Manuals/Notes for those specific aircraft would have explained how to use, turn on/off and operate those devices.
Might have been a supplement to the POH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back