Duxford....Birds in Theirs Nests (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IMG_1247.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

IMG_1249.JPG

IMG_1251.JPG

IMG_1252.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Thanks fellas.

Today's pics show lots of wear and tear.

Question for terry or anyone else who knows. The damage to the 111 tail, did it sit around exposed to the elements or recovered from under water?

The 109....the weathered section of the wing.....is that how she was while on ops or the result of folks picking her over after she shot down or otherwise came to grief?

Thanks

IMG_1271.JPG

IMG_1273.JPG

IMG_1274.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

Cheers,

jeff

Good stuff Grant, saved me digging into my memory.
The '109 did indeed do a tour of Canada and the USA during WW2, and then returned, eventually, to the UK, being in store for many years at Bournemouth. Some parts went missing over the years, and at one time, the fuselage was covered in signatures, of people who'd donated to War Bonds and similar, when it was 'on tour'.
When restored, it was decided to leave one wing in the original paint, which, over time, had become faded and abraded. The 'diorama' display is, of course, replicating how it looked after belly landing, photos of which are on display in front of the aircraft.
Forgot to add - I think the He-111 fin is off a KG26 aircraft, probably based at Stavanger-Sola, when the unit was engaged in night ops against the UK in winter 1940, to spring 1941.

Last edited:
Okay lads, this will be the last instalment as I have run out of indoor pics from Duxford. Hope you have enjoyed viewing them....I know I enjoyed taking and sharing them with you over the past couple of months.

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back