The last book, magazine or newspaper you've read? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Book - the Magic of reality - Richard Dawkins
Mag - Model aircraft "monthly" - Jan 2012

Militærhistorie, dec. 2011.
FlyPast, dec. issue.
Aeroplane, dec. issue.
The Classic Motorcycle, dec. issue.
Book: Henrik Andersen: Morian Hansen - en legende. About danish speedway rider/RAF bomber gunner/booze smuggler/stock car driver/pilot Jens Henning Fisker Hansen, aka Morian.
...hm, and I sometimes wonder why my female friends think I'm hopeless to borrow books and magazines from? :D

"Retribution" by Max Hastings

The 1944-1945 war against Japan. Good read, but if you like Douglas MacArthur you won't like this book.

BTW, I'm not a MacArthur guy.

TO

"Retribution" by Max Hastings

The 1944-1945 war against Japan. Good read, but if you like Douglas MacArthur you won't like this book.

BTW, I'm not a MacArthur guy.

TO

Nor am I. Can you please tell me more? Would love to know how Mac's career survived the Phillipine debacle. He must have been heavily connected stateside. I suspect his lacky Sutherland contibuted greatly to the PI and Australian fiascos and am looking for some verification. Evidently Hap Arnold sent Kenney, an otherwise capable USAAF general to the south pacific as Macs air boss but within a year or two of chastizing Sutherland and straightening out the organization he joined the CoS in promoting Mac for president. Something seems fishy.

Had looked forward to reading Black Cat Raiders expecting a purely unit history but this USN Captain couldn't resist following the lead of his fellow brown shoe leaders in criticizing VAdm F. J, Fletcher's Guadacanal decsions. It's tiring to keep reading the same baseless trashing over and over by the same crowd. I say to my fellow airdales.. he was the winningest carrier commander of the war and he didn't have wings. Deal with it. Get over it.

Last edited:
Just finished 'Mosquitopanik', by Martin Bowman, an account of Mosquito ops in the ETO, from 1942 to 1945. A good read, with many accounts from air crew and combat reports, particularly night ops and 100 Group work.

A little while ago I got me this book. Bit of a let down to be honest...as in nothing really new on Schnauffer, no special pics, just the generic Nachtjagd pics everybody with a slight interest in the Nachtjagd and the Luftwaffe prolly has seen countless times, nothing really Schnauffer specific, not on the man, not on his a/c. Information mostly consists of summing up the lot of Schnauffers missions and victories, nothing of which can't be pieced together from various other standard works on the Nachtjagd, but of well...for a few Euro's it isn't too bad either

Attachments

• 51nLefRUzLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51nLefRUzLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 72
"JG 26 Top Guns of the Lutfwaffe" by Donald L. Caldwell, foreword by Adolf Galland. This is the ultimate account of the "Abbeville boys" from inception to incineration.
16 pages of picts, many that I had never seen before, and just a good read with many technical details on the Me's and Fws that they used.

Just finished "A Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann and America in Vietnam" by Neil Sheehan. Am now starting "December 8, 1941 MacArthur's Pearl Harbor" by William H. Bartsch. (Looking forward to this after having read "Doomed at the Start".) After this will read "Everyday a nightmare" also by Bartsch, then the three book Bloody Schambles series.... That is the plan anyway! Nice!

Buffaloes over Singapore. Great fascinating insights of Britain's greatest defeat. Also tells the real background of the losses that earned the Buffalo the title of one of the worst fighters of the war. Written by one of the authors of Bloody Shambles, I thought it was well researched.

That looks an interesting book Wheels - what's your opinion?
Aaron, just about to start on 'Most Dangerous Enemy' - got it for a snip at Cosford last month.
Marcel - coincidence; just seen that book on special offer.
Just finished reading 'Operation Mincemeat', by Ben Macintyre, the true story, warts and all, behind 'The man who never was', the deception plan for the invasion of Sicily. A good read, with lots of fascinating info. Just ordered his other work, 'Agent Zig Zag', the story of 'triple' agent Eddie Chapman, the subject of the 1960s movie 'Triple Cross', staring Christopher Plummer.

That looks an interesting book Wheels - what's your opinion?
Aaron, just about to start on 'Most Dangerous Enemy' - got it for a snip at Cosford last month.
Marcel - coincidence; just seen that book on special offer.
Just finished reading 'Operation Mincemeat', by Ben Macintyre, the true story, warts and all, behind 'The man who never was', the deception plan for the invasion of Sicily. A good read, with lots of fascinating info. Just ordered his other work, 'Agent Zig Zag', the story of 'triple' agent Eddie Chapman, the subject of the 1960s movie 'Triple Cross', staring Christopher Plummer.
I enjoyed it but it didn't tell me much more than what I already knew from reading "The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle: Memoir of a WWII Bomber Pilot." If you can find "Memphis Belle: Biography of a B-17 Flying Fortress" at your library I would give it a shot but the pricing for buying it used has gotten to be bit ridiculous since it is no longer in print.

Wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back