RAAF CAC Sabres

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mungo60

Airman
Jun 17, 2017
NW of YWLM
I have done Sabres skins in the past but they resulted in looking like cartoons, however i have now re-visited them because the software, game system and graphics engine has changed, and im starting to get pleasing results. You will note that these models are in fact US F86 F Sabres, only because thats the only model of a Sabre within Digital Combat Simulators (DCS).

Heres a little history about the Aussie Sabres:

The Commonwealth Aviation Corporation (CAC) Avon Sabre was a unique aircraft in Australian military aviation history. It was the first all metal jet fighter to be constructed in this country. The decision to produce the North American Aviation (NAA) F-86 Sabre, fitted with the Rolls-Royce Avon turbo-jet engine and upgraded armament in the form of two 30mm ADEN cannons, saw CAC embark upon a major re-design program. Because the Avon engine was lighter, shorter and of greater diameter than the General Electric J34 engine which powered the NAA Sabre, CAC incorporated major structural changes in the Sabre fuselage, resulting in a total
redesign of almost 40% of the fuselage.

The Avon Sabre gave sports car like performance as well as packing quite a punch. ln service the aircraft proved to be versatile and although no trainer variant was produced in Australia pilot conversion proceeded with reasonable speed. As NAA produced modifications to the basic design these were incorporated in CAC built aircraft. The slatted wing was replaced with the famous 'six-three' wing. Sidewinder missiles were fitted to the aircraft and even ground attack missions were incorporated within the aircraft's repertoire.

The Sabre served operationally with 3, 75, 76, 77 & 79 Squadrons RAAF, and 2 OTU & 3 OCU RAAF between 1953-68. They were based in Australia and overseas, serving in Ubon, Thailand and Butterworth, Malaysia under mutual defence treaties. The survivors were then refurbished and supplied to the Indonesian and Malaysian Air Forces.
( Copied from High Planes Models Saber brochure with gratitude)

Heres where im up to at the moment, they are still a "work in progress", also im using a bit of " artistic licence" in that these birds are not as shiny ( mirror finished) in real life. These Sabres that im doing still exist as far as i know.

Fqjj67E.png

eW22R0U.png

Last edited:
Thanks fella's, I agree Zipper, to me the F-86 was the classic Jet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back