The Guns We Own

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MAS 45.JPG

French Army surplus 5 rounds .22 lr MAS 45 training rifle I recently acquired in pristine condition. According to the condition, it passed scores of years hanging on an armory rack without firing a round.
The SN indicates a very late end of production rifle (1965).
This makes it one of the last military weapon produced with the war era confiscated Mauser tooling that was transferred to the Manufacture d'Armes de Saint-Etienne (MAS) in 1946 after the Russians protested that the French were having armament produced in occupied Germany.
The machines, tools and spare parts inventory that was been used to assemble Mauser 45 training rifles, 98k rifles, P08, P38 and Hsc pistols, were shipped in France and the Mauser buildings were destroyed.
The machines, tools and spare parts served to manufacture training rifles rechristened MAS 45 rifles with a shorter and better balanced barrel ; when the spare parts stockpile of German origin was used, new parts were produced in house. So these carbines can be found with 100 % German parts, a mix of German and French parts, or 100 % French parts like this one, and various markings and finishes (blue or phosphate), a variety that pleases collectors.
There was also a limited and sought after civilian production with a better blue and checkered grip and forestock.

Last edited:
One I often regret not buying was an old single action 1873 Bisley which, in 1960, I could have had for $12.50. A Air Force buddy and I were walking along the shops in Cripple Creek, Colorado early one morning and I stopped to look in the windows of a gun shop. The owner came out and said he could make a good deal on anything as he needed to pay bills today to stay open. I told him I was only looking at the Bisley, and he said I could have it for $25. I went in and looked at it. It was well worn, lots of cylinder play, almost no blue left. A typical old west well used gun. I said thanks and was leaving, when he said, "How 'bout half price." I explained we couldn't have a gun on base.
Later on the way back to base, I realised I could have taken it to the Gun Club, joined, and kept it there.
Over the years, I have also had lots of "missed opportunities" at great "bargains".
Many of them were such good deals that I would regret not spending the few dollars, but there were some that I did pick up.
Some were genuine bargains with flaws that I could work around but some were not so easy to deal with. After a while, I started to realise that buying someone else's problem child generally was not a good idea. For me, it is better to buy something in better condition even if it costs a few dollars more.
I am far from rich, but for me, the major expense is usually not the gun but what it takes to feed it.

For me, it is better to buy something in better condition even if it costs a few dollars more.
I am far from rich, but for me, the major expense is usually not the gun but what it takes to feed it.
That has been me in the last 4/5 years I guess.I have been p/u rifles from S.America of late in auctions since little conflicts ever occur in that region.I have a Argentine 1909.Vene FN49,Vene FN Mauser and the Enfield Irish Contract all @ 90/100% condition.I bought the Fr8 even beat up as an oddity and a shooter it's fun rifle/carbine. ;)

French Army surplus 5 rounds .22 lr MAS 45 training rifle I recently acquired in pristine condition. According to the condition, it passed scores of years hanging on an armory rack without firing a round.
I bet she stays that way?My 1954 Enfield still has the test firing tang on the trigger and cosmoline in the barrel/front sight.;)

I bet she stays that way?My 1954 Enfield still has the test firing tang on the trigger and cosmoline in the barrel/front sight.;)
By a strange turn of fate, for a rifle produced in France on german machinery, after being surplused by the french army, it was acquired by a german dealer, proofed at the Munich proof house and reimported in France. There was remnants of army grease under the bolt.

That has been me in the last 4/5 years I guess.I have been p/u rifles from S.America of late in auctions since little conflicts ever occur in that region.I have a Argentine 1909.Vene FN49,Vene FN Mauser and the Enfield Irish Contract all @ 90/100% condition.I bought the Fr8 even beat up as an oddity and a shooter it's fun rifle/carbine. ;)

On your Irish contract Enfield, does it have any markings on the barrel reinforce?
On my "Frankenstein Rifle", there is an overlapping "FF" on the replacement barrel which I have been told means "Fianna Fail" or Army of Ireland. Gun is a No.1 Mk.III* built up of parts from many different rifles which is why I call it Frankenstein.
Frankenstein was a typical surplus rifle in mediocre condition when I bought it and I bought it as my first high power rifle because I didn't know any better.

The exception to picking up guns with problems is with 1911s. If a 1911 that hasn't been abused comes along at a good price, I have picked them up in the past if they were by a good manufacturer. As long as the frame is good, there is no end to spare parts that are available, and I have gotten pretty good at correcting problems. The end results have been extremely satisfactory for accuracy and reliability.

On my "Frankenstein Rifle", there is an overlapping "FF" on the replacement barrel which I have been told means "Fianna Fail" or Army of Ireland. Gun is a No.1 Mk.III* built up of parts from many different rifles which is why I call it Frankenstein.
Mine is a #4 MKII 11/54 I have never fired it will stay the way it is. ;)

Attachments

• rifles 001.JPG
    rifles 001.JPG
    520.1 KB · Views: 1
  • rifles 002.JPG
    rifles 002.JPG
    644.2 KB · Views: 1
I have a No.4 Mk.II as well. I HAVE fired mine. It was not an expensive rifle when I bought it and wish I had bought a couple extra.
Lee-Enfields were common and cheap at the time and I wasn't that interested because they all seem to have headspace issues to one degree or another. Of course with the No.4, one could swap bolt heads instead of swapping barrels and bolts as I had to do with the No.1 Mk.III*.

That No,Mk.III* was the reason why I bought a serious "basket case" gun as a parts donor. The parts donor has a matching numbered bolt and receiver but they are in such a shape that I can't see it as worthwhile to repair. It is a sad end to what is certainly a veteran from The Great War.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back