Evolved by Ingenieur-General Vernisse and M Badie, the VB 10 was an all-metal single-seat fighter powered by engines mounted in tandem fore and aft of the pilot's cockpit and driving contra-rotating co-axial propellers. Thirty VG 10s were ordered off the drawing board in May 1940, and work continued under the Vichy government. The first prototype with two 860hp Hispano- Suiza 12Y31 12-cylinder liquid-cooled engines was flown on 7 July 1945. The second prototype with 1150hp HS 12Z12/13 engines and an armament of four 20mm Hispano-Suiza cannon and six 12.7mm Browning machine guns flew on 21 September 1946. A contract for 200 aircraft had been placed on 22 December 1945 (this later being cut back to 50 aircraft), and the first production VB 10 flew on 3 November 1947 with 1150hp HS 12Z Ars 15/16 engines and an armament of four 20mm cannon. Production was cancelled on 21 September 1948 after completion and testing of four series aircraft.