johnbr

P39t

By late 1941, Bell produced 229 P-39Fs, fitted with Aeroproducts Hydromatic propellers. One of these, or a few (sources aren't clear on this) were converted into two-seat trainers, under the designation TP-39F. All armament, both the gun and the synchronized machine guns, was removed, and the spinner was sharp-pointed. The second cockpit, fitted with only rudimentary controls for the instructor, was added in front of the original cockpit, and covered by a side-hinged canopy. The original cockpit, for the pupil, retained the same controls and instruments as the standard P-39. They communicated via an intercom telephone. The tail fillet was enlarged, and an additional ventral fin was added under the rear fuselage to increase directional stability.

P39t
johnbr, Aug 20, 2012