johnbr

Weick_W-1A_of_1934

English: Fred Weick's homebuilt W-1A of 1934, one of the first aircraft to employ tricycle landing gear. Weick and a group of nine other Langley engineers built this small experimental airplane in their spare time to study the special needs of the private flyer. The plane was eventually purchased by the Department of Commerce. After leaving the NACA (for a second and final time) in 1936, Weick incorporated many elements of the W-1 into his design of the famous Ercoupe, a small simple-to-fly airplane built first by the Engineering Research and Development Corporation (ERCO) of suburban Washington, DC.

Weick_W-1A_of_1934
johnbr, May 7, 2011
    There are no comments to display.
  • Album:
    Aircraft 20's +30'
    Uploaded By:
    johnbr
    Date:
    May 7, 2011
    View Count:
    451
    Comment Count:
    0