<> **** DONE: 1/32 Corsair F4U-1A - WW1 / WW2 over Water. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking very nice Kirby. Vallejo makes a set of U.S. Navy colours but check some reviews first to see how the colours stack up. Some earlier colours were sketchy but they seem to be improving.

vallejo-acrylics-71157-model-air-set-wwii-us-navy-usmc-colors-1940-1945-8-colors.jpg

Good progress Kirby. I use Tamiya paints but have not done the tricolour scheme before so I can't give you a recommendation on that. I'm not sure what they call up on the instruction sheet but I've often found their mixes to be off. Googling a recommended mix for Tamiya often reveals some good recommendations, especially from the guys as Britmodeller.com.

Thanks guys, I did find some Tamiya mixes as well as a Gunze recommendation for Sea Blue. Doing some test sprays and tweaks so will get back to you with results.

Anyway, at last time to paint, WOO HOO! Masking was done with a combination of wet kitchen towel, sponge, post-it notes and tape and the airframe and other components primed with Tamiya Fine primer straight from the rattle can.

primed web.jpg

Seams and other surfaces were checked and all was well so I proceeded to pre-shading. I debated black-basing but this is going to be a faded bird so went with traditional pre-shading which might offer a bit more contrast. I do a lot of my shading post-painting anyway.

preshade upper web.jpg

preshade lower web.jpg

If you're wondering why the top of the inner wings aren't shaded stay tuned....

I tried raking pre-shading for the first time in combination with mottling on the rudder, spraying black on an oblique angle from below and white from above to give an overhead lighting effect. I was quite impressed with the results - if you look carefully at the ribs you can see a white highlight on the top edge and a dark shadow on the bottom edge. How effective this will be after the basecoat is applied remains to be seen...

preshade rudder web.jpg

Thanks for stopping by :thumbright:

Thanks very much guys :thumbleft: Going away for Easter so might not get much done but hopefully fit in a quick update before then

Righto, quick and small update before I head away for a few days. Apologies for the lighting, took a quick snap.

wings aluminium web.jpg

Upper surface of the inner wing areas and leading edges were sprayed Tamiya Flat Aluminium. You can probably guess what is coming next......I used Flat Aluminium rather than an Alclad finish as I like to do hairspray chipping over a satin or flat finish for smaller and more controllable chips, so it saved me a varnish coat. Exposed aluminium on a bird subject to the South Pacific elements will also not be shiny but flat and oxidised.

Now, where's her indoors' hairspray can again....?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back