<> **** DONE: 1/32 Corsair F4U-1A - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ha ha... it was a lucky guess but something that I would've personally considered doing. Looking forward to seeing it unfold, Kirby!

Great work Kirby! Have you ever thought about two-layer chipping?

Well, as previewed by John, the first step in the 2-layer chipping for the upper wing was to spray 2 coats of hairspray over the flat aluminium. This was given about half an hour to dry and then Tamiya XF-4 zinc chromate yellow was oversprayed somewhat unevenly. ZCY was the primer colour used by Vought on F4U-1As, so was the colour revealed by lighter chipping of the camo and around the edges of deeper chips that went all the way down to the aluminium airframe. So the aim here is to leave ZCY in areas of lighter wear and a more heavily chipped pattern down to the aluminium in areas of greater wear. While I was at it, I also sprayed the landing gear bays ZCY as they will also receive some light chipping.

wing ZCY web.jpg

wheel wells ZCY web.jpg

After the ZCY was given about half an hour to dry, I moistened the surface with water and took to it with a stiff brush. I was a bit too clever for my own good trying to avoid using a clear coat over the aluminium and some over-zealous scrubbing resulted in some small areas where aluminium paint was removed down to the primer, which required some small touch ups. I think I'll revert to using a protective varnish coat between layers from now on.

wings ZCY chipped web.jpg

So this will serve as the base for another layer of hairspray and chipping of the sea blue camo a bit later on.

Thanks for looking in :thumbleft:

Excellent Kirby! Interesting that you were able to penetrate past the aluminum but it shouldn't be an issue as long as the primer is grey.

Thanks guys.

The wheel bays received a couple of coats of hairspray followed by Insignia White made from a mix of Tamiya XF-2 White and XF-55 Deck Tan, then chipped using the same method described above for the upper wings. I tried to keep chipping restrained in this area.

The rest of the underside was painted Insignia White by slowly building up well thinned paint in a mottled pattern to leave a patchy, dirty look over the pre-shade, although it doesn't show particularly well in the photo. The end of a piece of masking tape I was using to protect the top side of the wings before the next hairspray layer seems to have left some sort of oily residue near the wing root for some reason. I'm hoping this will disappear under the next clear coat, but if not will have to respray this area :-x

wheel well chipped web.jpg

Also started spraying some Intermediate Blue on the lower outer wings and cowl area, going for a faded look on the exposed cowl.

cowl painted web.jpg

More painting pics soon...

Thanks Wojtek, Robert, and Andy. I suggested the solution to that "oily" stain to myself in my description of it. I gave it a light wipe with white spirit and it was largely removed. This was an old piece of tape I'd had sitting on my cutting board for quite some time, so I don't know whether it had degraded or absorbed oil from the mat or somewhere else. Anyway, something I'll be careful of in the future...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back