<> **** DONE: 1/32 Corsair F4U-1A - WW1 / WW2 over Water. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Holy Moly ! That's a model in it's own right !
Great work.

Tell me about it Terry! Between the pit and the engine I feel like I've done 2 models and I haven't even got to the airframe yet!

Very nice looking engine Kirby. Love the look the Ironbreaker paint gives. I use it on landing gear struts and wheel hubs as well

Yeah, I really like it for these sorts of things Geo. I did a comparison a while back of a few metalizers I have floating around that I use for different things by spraying them over a black base on a piece of plastic card.

metalizer comparison web.jpg

The camera's struggling to pick up the colours here as they appear to the eye but I think you can see the Ironbreaker has a slightly toned down weathered or "burnt" appearance compared to other aluminium paints which I think works really well in scale, particularly for weathered parts in combination with oil washes, etc.

I think the Citadel paints are a Games Workshop brand. There used to be a branch in my town, which was handy for the metallic paints I used to use now and then. But, like many 'chains' in this sh*t hole town, they closed and moved out.
I'm not a fan of acrylics, but use the odd colour sometimes, and the Citadel metal paints were certainly very good.

Progress slowed a bit now back to the real world! Done some work on the wing spar and inner wing module. Black-basing and interior green again for the bottom of the cockpit - an oil wash and drybrushing still to come. Following the discussion earlier in the thread on the ventral window, have decided to run with the 1A scenario where it was installed but painted over. So I will paint it insignia white from the outside prior to priming of the model.

inner wings web.jpg

Oil cooler intake vent areas were painted insignia white and weathered with oils. The oil cooler grills are PE supplied with the kit

inner wings 2 web.jpg

Installed a bit of plumbing in the wheel bays. A bit of forward planning is required here to drill the appropriate holes and partially install wires prior to assembly. More plumbing to be added once the bay door actuators are installed.

wheel well web.jpg

Cheers guys

Thanks guys. I thought about folding the wings Andy as Tamiya has some really nice detail there if you want to do that. At the end of the day though I thought it would obscure too much of the fuse and cockpit area and since this is my first Corsair I want to display her in flying condition. Also, I realise that I have neglected to describe the actual aircraft I will modelling (I'll get around to a post on that!), but it will be a land-based kite from VMF-214 and I don't know how often they would have had their wings folded??

On the other hand it would take up less room on the shelf...;)

Hi Kirby. The judges have discussed your build and agree that, since your model fits the latest group build theme, you can participate of you wish. Though you started early, your progress has been modest and so none of the other entrants would be at a disadvantage in our opinion.

If you'd like to participate (and we'd love of you did!), please start a new thread in the "Group Builds - Official" section with your subject followed by " - WW1 / WW2 over Water" in the header. Open your first post with your particulars (take a look at others and copy the format) and copy your progress pics to the new thread and continue from there. I'd suggest you pick "Advanced" as your skill level. The group build concludes on Sunday, June 4 and you'll need to include pics of your continued progress steps up to the end.

Yeah, come and join us in the GB forum! Your 1/32 Corsair should be an interesting comparison to the one I'm building!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back