<> **** DONE: 1/32 Corsair F4U-1A - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys. Still plodding along, landing gear assembled, painted Insignia White using a mix of Tamiya White and Deck Tan, and glossed with a coat of Pledge ready for weathering. Nice detail on the landing gear so nothing extra needed and the kit comes with metal rods that fit inside the struts for added strength which is a nice touch.

landing gear glossed web.jpg

While I had the Pledge out dipped the clear parts which I'll be needing soon and left them to dry in my patented drying device.

clear parts web.jpg

I've been procrastinating on scratch building the cowl flap pulley system, I'm running out of things to do in the meantime...

Nice work on the undercart Kirby.
Have a look at Geo's Corsair thread, on Page 5. There's some detail shots posted by me and Andy, where the springs on the gear legs can be seen, as well as bolt and attachment details etc.

Thanks Terry. It's hard to see on the photo above but all that detail is well represented by Tamiya. The springs should come out nicely with an oil wash. Here's a zoomed shot.

landing gear glossed zoom.jpg

Thanks guys. Andy, I don't normally get too many complements on my legs :flushed:

Small update, Tamiya supplies masks for the canopies but they're not die cut which is weird. The Montex insignia masks also come with canopy masks for inside and out so it was a no-brainer to use them. This is the second time I've used Montex masks and I have to say I'm very happy with them - fit well and relatively easy to manoeuvre into place. I also attached the PE mirrors supplied by Tamiya. This required CA which is another reason I protected the canopies with a coat of Pledge.

canopies masked web.jpg

The reflective sides of the mirrors were masked with Micro Mask and the interiors painted flat scale black.

canopy mirrors web.jpg
canopies black web.jpg

The end of construction is coming into sight, although a few tasks still to do including scratch building the cowl flap pulley system 8-[. This kit is a long haul, keen to start painting to be honest...

The one and only time I used Montex masks they would not stay down. It was 1/48 scale and I don't think the masks could handle the curvature. Yours look very good though.

I saw a tip about those masks recently, it said on larger surfaces you need to clean the surface with a very light application of lacquer thinner........

That's absurd. Lacquer thinner eats plastic so unless you want foggy glass with clumps of cloth in it, don't do this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back