1/32 HK B-17G / B-25J Mitchell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

*faints*

Now, if Revell would do a PBY-5A in 1/32......
wicked_zpsc67fa6df.gif

I'm quite surprised at the relatively basic detail in the B-17 kit. Notice that the main bulkheads have the doors moulded as part of the 'wall', in the closed position, and the rear entrance hatch is not a separate part. OK, fairly easy to 'open' if required, and adding scratch-built detail is straightforward, but for the size and, more importantly, the price, I would have expected more.
Can't help wondering what Revell would have provided, if they released a kit - and of course it would probably be around a quarter of the price!

My thoughts exactly Terry, the B-17 seemed basic to me. The only shock value of the kit is the size, but it has no bells and whistles in PE, rubber tires, etc. The surface detail may be nice and the kit a good fit, but it needs more to be running $300.

I agree. It doesn't even need PE, just more, separate plastic parts and more detail, although PE and whatever else would be useful to some.
As it stands, I think it's worth around £25 to £35 (around the $45 to $60 mark), which is what the Revell 1/32nd scale ju88 and He111 kits costs - and they are much more detailed.
The sad part is, the chap who originally designed these kits, and did all the hard work in producing masters etc, intended to have more detail, and a much lower retail price. He was a member of this forum at the time, about three years ago. Having done all the work, he was 'ripped off' by those he approached to produce and market the kits - a series of B-25s and B-17s, Lancaster and I think B-24 - and lost control of the entire project, which is now under the HKM brand.
That alone would make me think twice before even considering buying one (IF I had the room!), but at such a ridiculously high retail price, for a fairly basic kit, with only it's sheer size going for it - forget it!!

So they took his ideas and ran with it because they had the money?

I just got revells 1/32 heinkel for $58 and and it has a lot of detail along with the junkers 1/32 as well. I really like Revell and how they market themselves based on quality, medium detail, and a great price. PE and such can always be picked up if the kit is lacking so it doesn't sway me too much.

I have the Ju 88,Ar196,He111 and the He219 in 1/32 and for the price and detail.They look like you are getting the bang for the buck. Now lets just see how well they all fit together. I think with all the 1/32's Revell has put out with the new tooling,I can't see why there isn't a new B-17,24 and 25 in the works.They may have wanted to see what the other guys have done 1st. Me I would love the see F4F,F6F and the Bearcat by Revell in 32

The wheels wouldn't be able to handle the weight :D that's why it is so basic :S that and they can make an extra 200 bucks on a kit that shouldn't run more than 150ish

Users who are viewing this thread

Back