1/32 P-51D, need advice, which is the best detailed kit?????? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
I have been searching for Anything on this scale kit and can find nothing definitive. I want something with an engine, good scale and detail. Everything I have found shows only finished kits, nothing that will point me toward a kit.

I have a 1/48th of Merlin's Magic underway, but my ultimate goal is a 32nd diorama +/-. I have a Tamiya engine on a stand that will be the blown engine, Reno races, and want the top cowlings off and replacement engine installed, work stands on both sides, prop off and on it's own stand. See pictures, prop, engine and my 1/32nd engine on scratch built stand underway.

Give me an idea of your choices, Has or other. I know I have seen a D model build on the forum, but cannot locate it.

Much appreciated, Bill View attachment 167433View attachment 167431View attachment 167432

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been searching for Anything on this scale kit and can find nothing definitive. I want something with an engine, good scale and detail. Everything I have found shows only finished kits, nothing that will point me toward a kit.

I have a 1/48th of Merlin's Magic underway, but my ultimate goal is a 32nd diorama +/-. I have a Tamiya engine on a stand that will be the blown engine, Reno races, and want the top cowlings off and replacement engine installed, work stands on both sides, prop off and on it's own stand. See pictures, prop, engine and my 1/32nd engine on scratch built stand underway.

Give me an idea of your choices, Has or other. I know I have seen a D model build on the forum, but cannot locate it.

Much appreciated, Bill
2 prop.jpg
2 blown engine.jpg
2 engine on stand.jpg

I'd agree there. It'll be costly, but well worth it. Second choice would maybe be the Dragon kit, but it's a b*tch to fit. Looks great when done though. Not sure about the Trumpeter offering.

And! Look at the surface of the Dragon, and look how deep the panel lines are!!!!!! I want a smooth polished aluminium look.

Now, having said all this, is the Tamiya kit open to pre-purchase yet?????????? Like the Spitty was? I have heard both ways.
Never the less I will wait.

Attachments

• IMGP0058.JPG
    IMGP0058.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 167
The Trump and Dragon kits seem similar in their rivet detail. Once given a couple of good paint coats and a polish though, the Dragon looks acceptable for a WW2 machine, but maybe not the smooth, highly polished finish of a racer. Not sure about pre-order on the Tamiya kit - could depend on the outlet. Hannant's, for example, normally announce when they will accept pre-orders.

Looked at that one you posted Oz. Looks promising.
Does anyone have experience with their kits?

Sorry about the double post, I had a lot of ISP trouble with this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back