<> **** DONE: 1/32 Sopwith Camel F.1 - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

still no sign of either my decals which I now list as totally MIA, or the PE stuff from Poland. That's only a few days overdue, and I should allow for up to 10 days before hitting the panic button. Right now I have nothing I can do, idle minds are dangerous minds, so as a contingency I might go back and fix the scaling problem with the fuel tanks and also see if I can finish the scratch built IP in some way and to some reasonable standard. it was never a disproven theory that I could not do it, so ive nothing to lose other than pride if I do have a go and build my own IP. . Its not how I wanted to finish the interior, and if the aftermarket stuff does arrive I wont have to use it at all, but im worried that it wont arrive, leaving me totally adrift. I would be prepared to use the jury rigged IP if I needed to and if its even passable. it wont hurt if I at least have it ready, and have it as a back up.

without decals, or the aftermarket PE IP, I would need to use simply a black rear backing wall, a clear dial face (made from clear styrene) and finished of with the bezels that I do have.

This is beginning to frustrate the heck out of me, just sitting here not able to progress. At least this will allow me the semblance of staying busy whilst we lounge around watching the grass grown under our feet and wait for the kit stuff to arrive.

Looking good so far Michael. Don't sweat your AM stuff just yet, stuff from O/S can take wildly varying times to reach Australia!

Finished my modification of the fuel tanks and am just about finished the scratch built IP. I am currently applying the bezels to the IP, having mounted the clear face over the black backing board. I just wish I had those decals to finish the job properly. Nevertheless, the jury rigged IP is scrubbing up okay, will post photos once done.

If neither the PE AM kit or the decals show by the end of the week, will probably button up this kit and keep going. I can always use the parts on another camel at some stage, and will probably build one quite soon. I enjoyed this build, but the logistic issues are frustrating. Its disappointing and depressing that Ive been let down by the supply issue, but not the end of the world .

Returning to the IP issue, last night I spent quite a bit of time fitting the makeshift IP board into the available space. Needed some refinement of the shape and paring down of the overall dimensions. I did not realise there is a considerable gap in the top decking forward of the IP bulkhead, below where the guns rest. I believe that gap is the ammo storage bins, but for this kit its just an open void. im not quite sure what to do about that, probably just leave it.

well a small amount of progress. I completed my ersatz IP and dry fitted the fuselage with the IP more or less in place. Dosent look too bad inside the cockpit, a little less flattering outside

IP last attempt.jpg

Ive yet to apply a final top coat of semi gloss. looks a bit rough, but not too bad IMO

These next ones are a dry fit with the IP and the guns in position

fuselage top decking dry fit.jpg

IP dry fitted II.jpg

IP dry fitted.jpg

You can clearly see the gap in front of the IP and the guns either side. I think this was the ammo feed binsbut looks a bit strange with just an empty hole there. IP looks good when being viewed in this partial manner

Next are the fuel tanks chopped back so that they can fit into the available space. I will need to rig a support frsme for them to support them. cant really replicate the historical set up because the fuselage is in two halves that come together last.
fuel tanks revisited.jpg

Following is the nose section, with the prop dry fitted
nose dry fit.jpg

Lastly , an experiment that didn't really work. I attempted to fabricate some canvas ammunition belts to fill the gap I mentioned before. Scaling was all wrong and looked just a little too rough.

ive sourced PE parts for US 50cal and 30 cal belts in 1/32 scale. they are available here in Aus, so should not have the same delivery issues that have dogged me on this build.

MG belt first attemtp.jpg

I will now have to wait until Friday. if any of the parts Ive ordered turn up, I can go down the path I had decided upon, if not, I think I will just finish this build with what I have.

Latest update, but photos probably tomorrow. Ive made the harness assembly. Then ive realizd that ive made some serious errors in the V gun assembly. most Camels were fitted with a telescopic gadget called an Aldis sight, which was located down the centreline between the two guns anchored at the rear by a small connecting bracket that in turns runs vertically down to the support arm for the guns. You often dont see the aldis sight, because they were apparently rare and expensive to replace so they were removed between missions . Whenever the Germans captured one intact they would also apparently hoik 'em as well. Pretty simple to fabricate the sight, but fitting is a little more difficult. I need to fashion a suppot bar at the rear, just behind the trailing edge of the forward top decking. Then I realized that the Eduard instruction for the cocking mechanism were wrong, at least in the way the guns were configured for the Camel. Ive got the cocking handles pointing upwards, but this is wrong, and for anyone knowing a bit about the Camel, will know that its really wrong. the cocking handles point downwards, so the pilot can reach them whilst flying. B*gger. So, Ive carefully applied some Zap to two elements of each gun, firstly to the cocking handles which are now away from the resin body quite safely. secondly I have to remove the individual resin part scope on top of each gun (afaik these were never carried in the airborne version at least on the Camel, and replace them with a PE plate also supplied in the eduard kit and which I should have used in the first place. Havent finished that removal just yet, but I think it will come away okay

now I have to firstly fit a rear holding bar to the guns, with the ends of the bar passing under the combing of the cockpit and then (in the real aircraft attaching to the fuselage subframe in some way. I can simulate the support bar being attached to the underside of the guns but it would be more difficult to the attach it to the fuselage because the model has two halves. I should be able to deal with this however.

Lastly have attached the pilots seat to the pit assembly. everything seems aligned properly, and also fitted the home made harness to the sets as well as a second part of the harness, which is anchored to the pilots headboard. ive also finished the reshaping of the cut down fuel tanks

Happy with the harness ive made .

Attached are some rendered drawings which I think are accurate and which I'm generally using for guidance, Also some contemporary photos of the area I'm now working on.

Sopwith F.1 Camel - Maj. William G Barker by Paul Wilson

cockpit view contemporary.jpg

Upper cockpit and top decking details II.jpg

Upper cockpit and top decking details.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back