1:32nd P-47D-25-RE of Lt. Col Francis Gabreski, June 6th, 1944 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alright, Group Build #5....

User name: lesofprimus
Name: Dan
Category: Judge (non competing)
Kit: Hasegawa 1:32nd scale P-47D-25-RE
Details: Crate of Lt. Col Francis Gabreski as it looked on June 6th, 1944 with 22 kills on her... Loads of scratch building, maybe some PE seatbelts.... Possibility of opening one of the panels over the engine....

On June 6, 1944 - D-Day. Gabreski led his squadron in long fighter sweeps over the beaches of Normandy. Three weeks later, he surpassed Eddie Rickenbacker's World War I record and on July 5th scored his 28th victory making him America's leading ace. When Gabreski 's total reached 28 air victories and 193 missions, he earned a leave back to the States. While waiting to board the plane that would fly him to the US, Gabreski discovered that a mission was scheduled for that morning. He took his bags off the transport and wangled permission to "fly just one more." After his plane was armed for battle, he met no opposition over the target. Seeking targets of opportunity, he spotted enemy fighters parked on an airdrome. During his second strafing pass, his plane suddenly began to vibrate violently and crash landed. Uninjured, he jumped to the ground and runs toward a deep woods with German soldiers in pursuit. Eluding them for five days, he began to make his way toward Allied lines. He encountered a Polish-speaking forced laborer whom he persuaded to bring him food and water. But eventually he was captured and interrogated by the famed Hanns Scharff.

The pics below are the profile Im working off of, as well as the only "real" pics of the plane Ive been able to find.... Any other "real life" pics would be a HUGE assist....

There are some questions as to the coloration of the camo.... The colorized pic below definatly shows alot of blue tint.... Comments on that??? Also some guys, as well as the decals provided, have black borders on the white stripes on the fuselage... I cannot confirm this from the 3 pics I have....

Attachments

• ~~zemkeswolfpack BEST.jpg
    ~~zemkeswolfpack BEST.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 925
  • real Gaby_Gabreski__Crew__P-47_Thunderbolt.jpg
    real Gaby_Gabreski__Crew__P-47_Thunderbolt.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 542
  • real Gabby.jpg
    real Gabby.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 538
  • real GABRESKI'S%20P-47.jpg
    real GABRESKI'S%20P-47.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 472
  • real loadout.jpg
    real loadout.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 463
  • real image006.jpg
    real image006.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 493
The kit looks great, very well detailed... Decals look nice... Hardly any flash and minimal sink spots....

Im excited about this one....

Attachments

• p-47d 007.jpg
    p-47d 007.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 379
  • p-47d 006.jpg
    p-47d 006.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 363
  • p-47d 005.jpg
    p-47d 005.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 369
  • p-47d 004.jpg
    p-47d 004.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 402
  • p-47d 003.jpg
    p-47d 003.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 437
  • p-47d 008.jpg
    p-47d 008.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 373
  • p-47d 009.jpg
    p-47d 009.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 374
  • p-47d 010.jpg
    p-47d 010.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 389
Les, if you need them I've got some shots of Hun Hunter XVI with a few close up detail shots. Will check my photo thread and be back with post #s.:) Ok, post 67 has a shot of the P-47 overall and post 70 has the detail shots. It you need the full size shots just let me know. I love these plains and would like to have more time to study them. Can't wait for this build to start!:thumbright: :cool:

Last edited:
This is a great choice Dan...so I'll get it over and done with...you "Sir" Pr!ck...see I'm showing respect by putting 'Sir' in front of P......!

Have the same kit for the same purpose!:D

and the large grainy 3rd shot downin the first main post is the reverse of the smaller clearer one above it.

Last edited:
The same then, except Im cutting my kills down to 22, which was his total on D-Day....

Gonna be real interesting u and I doin the gimmick, I look forward to it once I finish up my Stuka...

So do u think the white stripes had that black border Wayne??? Ive only found 3 pics of his plane, and none are convincing either way..

Anyone have any pics or an idea on how to open up one of the panels to reveal the engine??? Did one of them hinge up or did the ground crew remove the panel and leave it on the ground??

Dan, It looks the panels simply unbolted. Here's some pics but the first one is probably the best as it shows the panel lying on ground in the right foreground. I tossed in the cutaway drwing just for grins. :)

Attachments

• Main22.jpg
    Main22.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 309
  • Main06.jpg
    Main06.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 352
  • Main02.jpg
    Main02.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 343
  • P47cutaw.jpg
    P47cutaw.jpg