1:48 Avro Lancaster Mk. X

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rhino93

Airman
Oct 3, 2009
Ontario
Here's my lastest model. 1:48 Tamiya Avro Lancaster Mk. I/III modified to a Mk.X. I used CanMilAir's FM212 decals. This is modeled after the Lanc we're restoring here in Windsor (Avro Lancaster FM212 "Bad Penny"). I still have a few small touch ups to do but other than that it's done.

Misc145EDIT.jpg

Misc148EDIT.jpg

Misc151EDIT.jpg

LancasterRestoration019.jpg

Thanks guys! :D

Here's my album for the restoration, once I have some time I'll start a thread on here with updates on what's going on. Once the resotration is done it will be airworthy and with the city's permission we should be able to fly it.

Windsor CH2A Lancaster Restoration pictures by Rhino9-3 - Photobucket

For now here's the thread that I've been updating on WIX. Not much new right now with the project since the weather sucks but it'll start to pick up soon.

Warbird Information Exchange • View topic - Windsor (CH2A) Lancaster Restoration

Also here's some pictures of the Mosquito rebuild going on here. This one is only being restored to taxiing condition.

Windsor CH2A Mosquito Restoration pictures by Rhino9-3 - Photobucket

Very nice indeed very nice.

Are you going to show us all how you did the upper turret section ?
I've got a turret canopy and guns, but would love to see any close
up shots of the mounting ring.

ian.

Great photos mate, thanks! Where did she come from - a museum ?

Thanks again guys!

She was mounted on a pedestal in a park here back in the early the 1960's, in the early 2000's the CH2A took control of her and decided that it would be best to take her down and restore her.

I really regret not taking pictures of everything when I was making it but I'll get some closer up shots of it and try to explain how I did it. Really there wasn't to much to it, just the clear part of the turret mounted on the top of the fueslage with some thin pieces of styrene around it. For the gun part and turret ring I made up a piece like in the Revelll 1:48 B-17 kit.

It was built in July of 1945 so it never saw any action during the war. It was placed in storage for a while then convereted to a Mk. 10P, a photographic prototype. It served with 413 Photo Squadron RCAF starting in 1947 then was transfered to 408 Squadron at Rockcliffe in 1949. It was retired in 1962 after logging 8069.5 hours, that made it one of the highest time Lancaster in the world. In the 1964 the city of Windsor decided they wanted to put up a WW2 memorial and bought FM212 for $1250 (It was still airworthy and could have been flown for a higher cost but they decided to have it taken apart and shipped by barge). It was reasembled in Windsor and placed on a plinth in Jackson Park. In 2005 the CH2A finally got approval to take it down because of growing deterioration. In 2007 it was moved to the airport where it is currently being restored.

In 2007 is was renamed the " Bad Penny". The name comes from one of the first two Lancaster's to drop food during Operation Mana in Holland. The pilot of the aircraft (Bob Upcott) is from Windsor, along with several other crew members. After completing their drop they radioed their command and the operation began.

I'll start a thread probably tomorrow with more info about the restoration and aircraft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back