>> 1/48 Avro Anson MkI - Prototype / Weird Aircraft / Trainers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non-competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Classic Airframes
Model Type: Avro Anson MkI
Aftermarket addons: None planned but scratch building of covered glazing might be done

I'll start this thread as a place holder for my build, though I may not get to it for a bit since I have not researched the subject in depth and I still need to get my Swordfish and Ar196 behind me. I bought this kit for cheap at a swap a year or two ago. Since then the story of the loss and recent discovery of Anson L7056 intrigued me and I think it would be great if I could replicate this aircraft in miniature.

From
View: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1917898040/the-loss-and-discovery-of-avro-anson-l7056

2822DEC100000578-3060832-image-a-8_1430484336477.jpg

On October 30, 1942, five twin-engined Avro Anson navigation trainers of 32 Operational Training Unit took off from the Royal Canadian Air Force base at Patricia Bay on southern Vancouver Island. Three of L7056's crew were volunteer British airmen from the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve: observer Pilot Officer Charles George Fox, age 31 and married; observer Pilot Officer Anthony William Lawrence, 21; and 32 Operational Training Unit staff pilot Sgt Robert Ernest Luckock, 21. Wireless operator Sgt William Baird, also 21, from Brooks, Alberta, was the sole Canadian on board. Weather conditions proved to be worse than forecasted and at approximately 11:30am flying control recalled the Ansons, calculating that the weather was good enough for the aircraft to regain Patricia Bay.

Four Ansons returned but nothing had been heard from L7056 since the exercise go-ahead almost three hours earlier. High Speed Rescue Launch Aircraft from Patricia Bay flew over 40 hours searching the coastal waters and densely forested coastal margins but no trace of Anson L7056 or her crew was found. The four airmen were documented as 'presumed dead' and are commemorated at the Ottawa Memorial.

Some seventy-one years later, on October 24, 2013, three Cowichan Valley forestry engineers from the wood products company Teal Jones Group – Dennis Cronin with his colleagues Walter Van Hell and Tom Weston – found the wreckage, the undisturbed remains of a crashed aircraft, including what appeared to be the tail assembly of a bomb or smoke float. Ordnance Department from RCN Naden attended the crash site to check for unexploded bombs. Although the original fabric fuselage covering and any markings had long since rotted away, a serial number on an engine data plate confirmed that Anson L7056 had been found.

As much as I'd like to model this aircraft, there are two hurdles that I need to investigate and overcome. First, the decals provided with the kit do not cover this scheme. Second, the kit does not provide the modified glazing exhibited on Ansons operating in Canada whereby much of the leaky glazing was removed and replaced with plywood with small, round portholes in the side.

As I investigate the feasibility of recreating this scheme, it may become apparent to me that this will involve too much work, in which case I will likely revert to the RCAF option included with the kit scheme.

I will post an inspection of the kit contents in a future thread.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines Glenn. Just need to look into what the construction really looked like but, like I said, I've not researched this topic much yet.

Coincidentally, there is an Anson under restoration at the museum I'm volunteering at but it's not that far along yet. However, there are lots of drawings there and I'll take a look next time I'm there.

Great subject Andy. I'll be watching this, as I very nearly bought a CA Anson kit recently, going 'cheap' on e-bay. Only resisted due to my repeatedly failing 'No More Kits' rule !
I can't really help with details of the cabin window 'mods', but just looking at the profile, it may be that the 'new' plywood panels were fitted over the existing glazing, and sealed around the edges, with simple 'cut outs' to expose the 'Perspex' beneath, or similar, with the original glazing removed first, and new 'Perspex' fitted and sealed into the plywood panels.
The later, post war Ansons, and the civilian Avro 19, had 'proper' windows, but note in the pic blow. that these were fitted into what appears to be a single panel, which in turn fitted into the fuselage frame where the 'original' windows would have been attached to these frames, the latter being an integral part of the fuselage construction.
The second pic shows the arrangement of the 'normal' Anson cabin windows.

D Day DX Fuji 350.jpg
Andy 1.jpg

You're welcome Andy.
I took a load of detail shots for Evan, of the late model Anson at Cosford, when I was allowed to get up close and crawl, or hobble underneath it and around it, and many details are common to most Marks.
My PC has just gone in to be checked over and sorted out, so I can't access anything just now (working from my lap top at the moment), but if you think they might be of use, let me know, and I'll send them by e-mail, and detail pics of the Duxford wartime Anson, when I get the computer back, which I hope will be some time tomorrow.

Seems Chrome had stopped working properly, and connection possibly due to incompatibility after an automatic up-date.
Computer fixed and working, but still got a connection problem with newly-installed, new, 4G WiFi device. Will call service provider tomorrow, as it might be something I've done wrong, although I suspect there's still an un-detected problem with Windows.

Andy, my PC is back and now seems to be working properly, including 'net connection. I'll sort those Anson detail pics, and e-mail them to you over the weekend some time, when I have a break from the Meteor build, then you'll have them to refer to when ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back