1/48 B-17 G

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dbutl3r

Recruit
Jan 8, 2013
Hi this is my first post as a new member.

Here is my newly completed Monogram 1/48 B-17G "Chow Hound". The kit went together pretty will with some minor fit issues especially with the glass parts. I weathered the plane with salt chipping, dry brushing, various washes, and the airbrush. Let me know what you think and if their are things I can improve on!

Thanks!

image.jpg

photo.JPG

image_3.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site. Glad you decided to post here. The model of the B-17 looks great. Well done.
However your pitures were of too huge size and I had to resize them down. Please do that to all images you want to post here before uploading. We recommend 800 pixels in the width for each picture.. The forum system can do that automatically as well but these files are still of the same huge size what may cause problems for other members who have "weaker" computers. A such large files make the forum working slower including loading pages, scrolling of a screen etc...

Nice to have you join us. I really like what you've done with the Fort. Any faults I see are with the model manufacture and not you except, minor point, you may want to find a finer material for the radio antenna wire. I use "invisible" nylon sewing thread available at fabric stores.

Yes I was concerned a bit about the radio wire's thickness and its placement. Ive looked at different sources and some show the wire coming from the radio compartment all the way up and some show it coming from the top of the antenna/mast as I placed on this kit. Does anybody know where it should actually go?

I sure like what I see. That kit with Shep's diorama brochure is what got me really into building on a far more serious level so many years ago. I need to tackle one again someday. I think I have a kit stashed in the garage someplace. But, darned nice job.
Oh, and I a new here as well. Maybe 3 months. This place can be quite the mad house, but the folks here are awesome. Seems they are always ready to help out, often in some "unqiue" ways. :p
Dale

Antenna wire mounting depends on the period, and the radio fit. With the VHF radio, a whip antenna was used, just aft of the radio room top hatch. When a gun was not mounted - which it mostly wasn't on the later 'G', then the aperture in the hatch window was filled by either a piece of clear Perspex or a sheet of alloy. The LW radio had a wire antenna running from the 'wall' of the radio room to an anchor point on the port wing, an the SW radio, if fitted. had the wire from the mast to the fin.
there were variations of course, so best to try to find a pic of the actual aircraft.

Last edited:
I've always loved the big 1/48th B17 and have one in the stash but won't be building it
as the main canopy window is missing out of the ruddy kit, The kits fuselage windows
has always been a bug bear to me with those little notches and these spoil every kit.

Ian.

Ian, contact Revell for a replacement windscreen, and for the smaller windows, either cut off the tabs, or make new windows from clear sheet. It's fairly simple to do.

A very nice job there of a 91st BG B17. Just wish that I had the space for one that size.

Ahoy
Looks very very good it looks the buidness I built a few of these monogram B-17s in my life time every time I see a mkonogram B-17 it brings back a lot of memories whern this kit first came into production in 1975 at a cheap price tag of $8.50.. you Done Jerry Newquist Flying fortress justic just enough weathering to bring out the wear and tear of the ravages ofr war. Hardy Well Done.

Boats

Users who are viewing this thread

Back